BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,

I am running SAS Visual Analytics 8.4 under SAS Viya 3.04.

I have a VA Report with several datasources defined, as follows:

Sales2017

Sales2018

Sales2019

Sales2020

The datasources share a common structure.

I have a VA Report with four List Table objects as follows:

lstOldestSales which is using datasource Sales2017

lstSales2018 which is using datasource Sales2018

lstSales2019 which is using datasource Sales2019

lstLatestSales which is currently using datasource Sales2019

All I want to do is to change the datasource used by the lstLatestSales object from Sales2019 to Sales2020

If I use the Change <datasource>..... option in the Data pane, this has the effect of changing ALL objects currently using Sales2019 to start using Sales2020, which is not what I want.

The above scenario is simply for demonstration. I am aware that datasources can be combined in a view and filtered at an object level, but in this case I am just trying to figure out if I am missing something obvious about swapping datasources at an object level.

Am I missing something or is it impossible to change the datasource used at at object by object level ?

I look forward to some enlightenment.

Thanks,

Downunder Dave

Wellington

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
A tip that might save you some headache -- first create a duplicate of the object. Then you will have a reference when you reassign data roles, recreate filters, etc. If you have advanced filters, you can copy/paste the filter expression.

When you remove the data source from the object, you lose everything associated with data but you DO retain all of your options. So there is an advantage over starting from scratch.

Sam

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Madelyn_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

You would have to remove all of the data assignments for that object, select the correct data source in the drop-down list on the Data pane, and then add back the data assignments. 

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
A tip that might save you some headache -- first create a duplicate of the object. Then you will have a reference when you reassign data roles, recreate filters, etc. If you have advanced filters, you can copy/paste the filter expression.

When you remove the data source from the object, you lose everything associated with data but you DO retain all of your options. So there is an advantage over starting from scratch.

Sam
DaveShea
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Madelyn and Sam,

Thank you for swift responses to my posting. I have actually marked Sam's as the solution although there is nothing in it.
I have just added an entry to the SAS Ballot to try to see if this problem can be worked on and resolved.
It would be great to get some support for this idea.

The URL for th eBallot entry is:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/Allow-Data-Source-changes-to-Objects-not-just-th...

Thanks.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation