BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Frank_Boekamp
Quartz | Level 8

Hi there, 

When I open a section by clicking on a link in VA 8.3 I used to get an button-like arrow in the top left which took me back to the section that contained the link. In SAS VA 8.4 that button-like arrow seems to bee missing or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Frank

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Riley
SAS Employee

The full context is that in the new design we remove the page navigation tabs when a page link with filters is taken. The goal was to avoid the confusion that arises when you have a filter link from Page 1 to Page 2, but the viewer user can still navigate to any page they want and even take additional links which is a state the breadcrumb can't really show and creates odd questions about what should happen if the same page is linked into twice.

UX was concerned that removing the page navigation tabs after clicking a simple link that didn't have filters was overly restrictive to common cases like an author building a table of contents on the first page. The simplest fix to avoid this was to omit these simple links from being part of the breadcrumb system altogether which also helps in cases where the flow of the report may be non-linear.

Sounds like the missing piece is that while it isn't necessary to lock a viewer into using the breadcrumb we should look at ways to still provide a navigational "go back" button that can function regardless of whether the breadcrumb is in use or whether the tabs are shown. Functionally I don't see any issues, so it mostly comes down to finding a stable position for it in the UI that doesn't conflict with the undo/redo buttons or the new edit/view toggle. I'll pass it along to the rest of the team and see where it goes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Frank,

When you follow a link, you should see a breadcrumb trail in the report title area:

breadcrumb.png

In this example, clicking "Report 2" will take you back to the page where you clicked the link.

Sam

Frank_Boekamp
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Sam,

I don't see any breadcrumb trails in my report.

I'm not opening a new report, I'm linking sections in the same report from text objects.

Best Regards,

Frank

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee
Hi Frank,

I didn't realize we were talking about linking from a Text object. I see what you mean now.

I will ask the dev team about this. When the new breadcrumb feature was created, I believe the main focus was on linking interactions from tables and graphs.

Sam
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

I am told that this is working as designed.

For page links that don't perform a filtering action (like those originating in a Text object,) the intended workflow is for the user to just click the page tab to go back.

I checked, and we do provide a breadcrumb for *report* links from a Text object.

I will forward this thread to our UI designer for his awareness.

Thanks,

Sam

Riley
SAS Employee

The full context is that in the new design we remove the page navigation tabs when a page link with filters is taken. The goal was to avoid the confusion that arises when you have a filter link from Page 1 to Page 2, but the viewer user can still navigate to any page they want and even take additional links which is a state the breadcrumb can't really show and creates odd questions about what should happen if the same page is linked into twice.

UX was concerned that removing the page navigation tabs after clicking a simple link that didn't have filters was overly restrictive to common cases like an author building a table of contents on the first page. The simplest fix to avoid this was to omit these simple links from being part of the breadcrumb system altogether which also helps in cases where the flow of the report may be non-linear.

Sounds like the missing piece is that while it isn't necessary to lock a viewer into using the breadcrumb we should look at ways to still provide a navigational "go back" button that can function regardless of whether the breadcrumb is in use or whether the tabs are shown. Functionally I don't see any issues, so it mostly comes down to finding a stable position for it in the UI that doesn't conflict with the undo/redo buttons or the new edit/view toggle. I'll pass it along to the rest of the team and see where it goes.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation