BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Good day everyone,

I hope someone can help me with this issue. I have looked at a few posts and I am not sure if I am missing the language used (terms) or something just doesn't work. I have cross tabs in several reports that that users need to export "Formatted Data" data from. I must restrict the option for "Detailed Data".

I have read where you can use a post-aggregate filter such as frequency percent, but that will restrict my results and I am not sure how you do that since I attempted to do that as a test. I have also heard of applying a filter on a custom category which I have attempted repeatedly without success. Maybe I am misunderstanding the terms. 

Here is the scenario, I have a crosstab in a report that provides summary data. I need for users to be able to export that summary data, the "Formatted Data", but not be able to export the "Detailed Data" which would include information we do not want a user to access (personal IDs for example), and there are also many, many columns. There are other tabs in the report that use the personal ID values so I cannot exclude them. I did attempt to add a dummy ID and filter to exclude that, but that did not work either.

I have attached a PDF of the crosstab. As you can probably tell, there is a lot of data "behind the scenes" that creates this information that we do not want to be available for export.

I understand there may be reasons, but I am thinking this should be a really simple option or process.

Thank you,

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

The SAS Tech solutions below do not work for us. For some cases the aggregate value "Frequency Percent" does not exist in the "Data" tab so we cannot use it.

The "Show or Hide" option may work, but not for us. A single dataset may run several reports therefore hiding a field may cause issues with another report or one developed in the future. 

The "Rank" option as described below would work until you added additional data to the dataset increasing the number of rows, but, we did discover that if we  set the Rank's "Top Percent" value to 100 the "Detailed Data" option did indeed disappear.

SAS Tech solution;

1. You can apply a post-aggregate filter or a rank with the "All Other" option enabled. The snippet below is pulled from our doc here.

ghartge_0-1603729219476.png

• An example of a post-aggregate filter would be like if you added a filter for Frequency Percent (which is an aggregated measure created automatically for you in VA). You can add this filter and select all the values to be included (thus not actually filtering out anything) and this will prevent the Detailed Data option from appearing.

• Using the rank route, if you create the rank to show the Top X amount (where X is the amount of rows you want to display anyway), then it effectively doesn't do anything to alter the display of the chart, but it does prevent the Detailed Data option from showing.

1. You can also use the "Show or hide data items" option to prevent certain variables from being exported. If you hide data items, then when a user selects Detailed Data in the export dialog, those items will not be available for them to select.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

The SAS Tech solutions below do not work for us. For some cases the aggregate value "Frequency Percent" does not exist in the "Data" tab so we cannot use it.

The "Show or Hide" option may work, but not for us. A single dataset may run several reports therefore hiding a field may cause issues with another report or one developed in the future. 

The "Rank" option as described below would work until you added additional data to the dataset increasing the number of rows, but, we did discover that if we  set the Rank's "Top Percent" value to 100 the "Detailed Data" option did indeed disappear.

SAS Tech solution;

1. You can apply a post-aggregate filter or a rank with the "All Other" option enabled. The snippet below is pulled from our doc here.

ghartge_0-1603729219476.png

• An example of a post-aggregate filter would be like if you added a filter for Frequency Percent (which is an aggregated measure created automatically for you in VA). You can add this filter and select all the values to be included (thus not actually filtering out anything) and this will prevent the Detailed Data option from appearing.

• Using the rank route, if you create the rank to show the Top X amount (where X is the amount of rows you want to display anyway), then it effectively doesn't do anything to alter the display of the chart, but it does prevent the Detailed Data option from showing.

1. You can also use the "Show or hide data items" option to prevent certain variables from being exported. If you hide data items, then when a user selects Detailed Data in the export dialog, those items will not be available for them to select.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation