BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
DavidPhillips2
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

This was moved to the VA Forum:  Posting full text of original post with edits for context:

I’m trying to understand http://support.sas.com/kb/61/209.html.

I was able to work with the counties on the example interface.  Although the interface has an obvious bug of showing numbers next to the counties.  I’d like to display just the counties.  My data table includes student admission data with just the county name, no numbers.  Where as the sample data has county plus the odd number code.  So when I used my data with the tables from the documentation only Washington showed up.  I’m not sure why Washington showed up.  Oddly when I removed the (number) or the last eight characters of US_counties1, I don’t notice a difference.  Maybe I need to register the updated table in some way or I’m doing the steps in Option two wrong.  My data doesn’t include an ID column.  I’m not sure what that is for in the steps so I stopped at step 4.

1. “Create a new report in the SAS Visual Analytics Designer or a new visualization in SAS Visual Analytics Explorer.
  2. If the data has not already been loaded, import the US_COUNTIES1_VALIDATE_STATE table into the SAS® LASR™ Analytic Server.
  3. Specify the US_COUNTIES1_VALIDATE_STATE table as the data source for the report or visualization.  
  4. Right-click the NAME column.  Select Geography  ► Subdivision (State, Province) Names.  In the Province Names pop-up window, select United States.
  5. Add a geo region map to the report canvas and assign NAME to the Geography role.
  6. Change the Color role to MEASURE1 or MEASURE2 in order to better view the different U.S. counties.
  7. Right-click the ID column.  Select Geography  ► Subdivision (State, Province) SAS Map ID Values.

Change the Geography role on the geo region map to ID. “

2 REPLIES 2
ShelleySessoms
Community Manager

I'll move it to the VA forum for you, @DavidPhillips2.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

Hi David,

Can you quickly confirm whether you got the sample data to work properly? Note, that replacing some of the lookup tables requires a restart of the web application server as per instructions.

In regards to step #4 - here you are starting to define geographical items. One for US States (state boundaries) and one for US Counties at step #7. Given counties aren't unique via it's name - we typically use the related ID as the lookup value ( US-<StateFIPS><CountyFIPS>). If you don't have the ID column in your data - you will need to join a data source which has related FIPS codes and create such column. 

Hope this helps. Regards, Falko

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation