Just curious how many different way we can have SAS VA Application?
One way i know is having SAS VA through SAS VIA.
Can we have SAS VA application on SAS 9.4 grid environment as well? if so how many different SAS components we need?
Yes, SAS VA can run on a traditional SAS 9.4 platform for which the latest version is VA 7.4.
SAS VA is a special product deployment that is different from normal SAS. You can add extra products to it if you wish.
The product page is a good place to explore VA in more detail: http://support.sas.com/software/products/visual-analytics/index.html
very good an interesting question.
I think the first thing to consider is that there are several flavours of SAS Visual Analytics:
- The non-distributed version of SAS VA 7.x ( a single machine, Windows or Linux) - a full Solution
- The distributed version of SAS VA 7.x (Linux only) - a full Solution
- VAAR 7.x (which stands for Visual Analytics Administration and Reporting), which provides reduced capabilities (Explorations are not present, but enought to load to RAM the prepared data and show all kind or reports as in VA) - an optional product, which is included with most of the Solutions in 9.4. Normally, at no additional cost, specially if you will use same machines/cores as in GRID.
- VA (8.x) in SAS Viya - a product and Solution - the latest version of Visual Analytics, in a new platform (different than SAS 9, what you are used to)
That being said, if you have GRID, indeed you cannot put the Object Spawner as part of the GRID itself, but you can actually put VAAR on a separate machine or just in one of them, as long as the Object Spawner is not part of the GRID-ed services.
Then, the other option, is to have VA separately, as solution, and, indeed, load the data from GRID jobs to LASR or the Autoload folders.
Main thing is:
- Decide if you will include VAAR in GRID or one of your solutions, or if you will acquire a separate VA Solution.
- Contact your SAS Account Manager to put this in option and then get or extend the appropriate license/s and software.
Each option has got its own PROs and CONs, on budget, maintenance, installation/implementation, impact for SAS metadata, learning curve, etc. We cannot decide for you, but we and your SAS contact or partner can help you to resolve doubts.
Hope it helps.
@woo - That is the way most SAS VA sites install. One of the key reasons for this is the upgrade frequency of SAS VA is faster than SAS 9.x. It is a lot easier to upgrade (and also support) a standalone VA installation than one that is combined with other SAS servers.
Also if you are just looking at installing VA, are you aware that VA 8.3 is due out sometime this month? If you are looking to install VA 8.x you might want to delay by a few weeks to get 8.3.
Registration is open! SAS is returning to Vegas for an AI and analytics experience like no other! Whether you're an executive, manager, end user or SAS partner, SAS Innovate is designed for everyone on your team. Register for just $495 by 12/31/2023.
If you are interested in speaking, there is still time to submit a session idea. More details are posted on the website.
See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.
Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.