BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ArpanGhosh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Experts, 

I have created a a column "% growth from previous year: using Parallel period percent using "Transaction date" function

Usibg the attached function.

Alothough I have values on Transaction date for different months but I can on see % value only for January.  

Kindly suggests.

Regards

Arpan

7 REPLIES 7
daha
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Arpan,

What happens if you try to change your outer boundaries (_Inferred_) in the function to _Year_?

How is your Rev. in INR (Cr.) built up in the data-set?

/Regards

ArpanGhosh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Daha,

Even we change outer boundaries (_Inferred_) in the function to _Year_  it gives me the same output.

Rev. in INR (Cr.) is buid up in SAS VA as attached.

Regards

Arpan

Screen4.png
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello Arpan,

Could you try a simple bar chart of your %Growth aggregated measure versus Transaction Date?

The periodic operators require that the same date/time variable that you specified for the operator be assigned to the report object.

Thanks,

Sam

ArpanGhosh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Sam, 

We dont see any data value when we plot a bar chart  %Growth aggregated measure versus Transaction Date.  As we need  %Growth aggregated measure rolled up for each month.

It weired that %Growth vs last year formula is working only for month of January. We have put data source filter to include data for FY15 and FY16.  So ideally it should work but unfortunately not working for other months except January.

PFA screen shots

Regards

Arpan

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello Arpan,

The periodic operators return missing values when the inferred inner interval is by Day. I believe this is why your bar chart of Transaction Date is empty.

In your aggregated expression, can you set the inner interval to be _ByMonth_ instead of _Inferred_?

I'm not sure why January is receiving a value when you plot versus Month  -- in theory all values should be missing because the Transaction Date variable is not assigned.

Can you let us know if setting the inner interval makes a difference?

Thanks,

Sam

ArpanGhosh1
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Sam, 

Even after changing the inner interval to be _ByMonth_ , still the issue persists.

Regards
Arpan

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello Arpan, 

Sorry this has continued to be an issue.

On my 7.3 install I am able to get a good result with a very similar aggregated expression:

period.png

When I plot this versus Date, I get this:

period2.png

There are bars for each day because the format of the date variable. Because of the number of category values, you have to zoom in a bit for the bars to be drawn.

If you make your aggregated item based on a date variable with a month format, you could get a result like this:

period4.png

It should be noted that because of the way the periodic operator works, the first period (year) of data will be missing because there is no previous period to compare to. So if your data is filtered to include only 2014 and 2015, then the values for 2014 will be missing because the 2013 values are not available to calculate the 2014 growth.

I'm not sure why you are not seeing ANY results for your aggregated item when Transaction Date is assigned to the chart and when the inner interval is set to _byMonth_.  You might want to contact SAS Technical Support if you are still stuck.

Thanks,

Sam

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation