BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
darranm
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

When there are two different data sources, of course there has to be some data mapping, but I am wondering as to whether there is an option for the data mappings to vary, depending on what interaction is made.

For example (read BC as bar chart and DS as data source)

BC1 using DS1 > interaction to TABLE1 using DS2

Can I then use another interaction, using these two same data sources

BC2 using DS1 > interaction to TABLE2 using DS2, with different data mappings?

The requirement is for Table1 to pass through a number of filter options, however Table2 should not pass all of these filters, only a few.

Thanks

Darran

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

It’s not possible in VA 7.3 or older, but that's an interesting use case for sure. I understand how you are trying to set up the multiple interactions with different data mappings between the two data sources. Can you tell us more about what this helps you accomplish? Darran, could you submit this capability as a new idea by clicking here. We might find that other community members need this too.

Rick

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PeterWijers
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Darran,

as described I think it is to difficult.   (Multiple table links on one report page.....)

Could you please make a drawing with some data in it to explain your expectation.

Sometimes its possible to reach your goal solving it in another way.

Greetings  Peter

darranm
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response, I've done a quick mockup of what I am trying to achieve. I'm not sure if its possible within SAS, I guess the workaround is to just add a different dataset for every combination of data mappings I wish to use, although this could become messy..

SAS_data_mapping.jpg

RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

It’s not possible in VA 7.3 or older, but that's an interesting use case for sure. I understand how you are trying to set up the multiple interactions with different data mappings between the two data sources. Can you tell us more about what this helps you accomplish? Darran, could you submit this capability as a new idea by clicking here. We might find that other community members need this too.

Rick

darranm
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the confirmation Rick, I admit it is a bit of an odd request, as you would tend to only map the data once if the data sources differ.

There was a requirement to link from one report, to several other sub-reports, passing through different levels of filters.

In this particular case, the main report had a bespoke time-based variable splitting the data, for one subreport we wanted the time variable to be passed through to see a subset of the data. On a second subreport we wanted to see an overall view.

Being able to map the data differently at an object level, would have saved us from replicating the same dataset again, and mapping the data differently at that level instead

I'll submit the idea as you mentioned, thanks again!

Darran

RickStyll_SAS
SAS Employee

Darran, thank you for the explanation.

Rick

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation