BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sunil_ravinder
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

We have Microsoft SSAS cubes deployed on our SQL Server. I read that SAS Visual Analytics using SAS/Access can access the OLAP cube. My question is that: Does it need a MDX expression to query the cube.

In other data visualization vendor products, the access to the SSAS cube is seamless i.e. i don't have to write a MDX query and access to dimension or fact is seamless.

Any feedback on the above is really appreciated. 

Thanks,

Sunil

2 REPLIES 2
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Access to OLAP data uses the SAS/ACCESS to OLEDB licence.

As I understand it, you could either use MDX in SQL pass through (like any other ACCESS engine).

You could also use views, but they need to be created on the SQL Server side by using MDX. If you already have those, then it's seamless...Smiley Wink

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/acreldb/69580/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0yn2t1wybwsshn1a4...

Data never sleeps
ali_jooan
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Sunil .. where have you read that VA can access SSAS cube? Could you please forward the link?

In user guide VA can only access data from these databases:

* Server databases — SAS Data Set, Aster, DB2, Greenplum, MySQL, Netezza, ODBC, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Salesforce, SAP HANA, SQL Server, Teradata, Vertica
* Hadoop databases — BigInsights, Cloudera, Cloudera Impala, Pivotal HAWQ, Hortonworks, MapR, Pivotal HD

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation