The NCAA Tournament and its "March Madness" are now upon us - but before the games begin there is this stress for many teams about whether they will make the final four. Using Big Data concepts and SAS Visual analytics, we were able to create a predictive model in SAS Visual Analytics. To complete this task, we opted to use a SAS VA Geo Map.
Have you used a Geo Map in VA yet? It’s easy to create one! We created the charts below by taking these few simple steps:
1. We made a SAS data set containing the names of all the teams in the final four since 1979.
2. We then added US state abbreviations for each team to the list to create the geo map.
3. We dragged over both final four team names and the state codes to the workspace in VA to create the attached graphs.
Also, we took other basketball data into account. Here are some other helpful (and some not-so-helpful) factors for selection. Here’s what’s been successful in the past:
• RPI (Rating Percentage Index), based upon wins, losses, and strength of schedule
• Record and rank in-conference (regular season championships matter!)
• Strength of conference (conferences do matter!)
Based on the historical data and the current basketball factors/trends, this is our final four prediction: Duke, Carolina, Kansas, and Kentucky. Now it’s your turn! Let's submit a community bracket to prove that SAS has the best modelers around! Please submit your entries to this thread during the tournament. Entries can be submitted prior to the start of the NCAA tournament or during the tournament. Having a hard time viewing the charts on your browser? Please see the attached .pdfs for an example. Thanks!
Registration is open! SAS is returning to Vegas for an AI and analytics experience like no other! Whether you're an executive, manager, end user or SAS partner, SAS Innovate is designed for everyone on your team. Register for just $495 by 12/31/2023.
If you are interested in speaking, there is still time to submit a session idea. More details are posted on the website.