BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ldenney
Obsidian | Level 7

I am new to Visual Analytics (7.1) and I have a large dataset with many variables.I am working on creating a visualization in Report Designer. I would like to create a line graph and allow the user to select the Y axis from the long list of variables in the measures field using a drop down box. The X axis would remain consistent as a year field.

Any suggestions?

8 REPLIES 8
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Idenney,

Maybe not ideal, but the solution for that would require you to load a small table containing the list of measure names you want to be available in your selection control object (e.g. dropdown list). If you associate a character parameter to the dropdwon list (e.g. measureSelection), you could use a calculated item like this in the Y axis, instead of a fixed MeasureN:

IF 'measureSelection'p = 'Measure 1'

RETURN Measure1

ELSE IF 'measureSelection'p = 'Measure 2'

RETURN Measure2

ELSE IF 'measureSelection'p = 'Measure 3'

RETURN Measure3

ELSE .

The only caveat on this approach is that you will need to choose a neutral format for this calculated item that works well with any Measure returned by the formula. For example, if Measure1 is currency and Measure2 is a frequency count, you woul have to format it as numeric, or something similar.

Best,

Renato

ldenney
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks Renato - I will give this a try!

muralavenu_gmail_com
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi There,

First of all you need to know the differece between Report Designer and Data Exploration. 

In Report Designer, we used to create REPORTS using different sections with multiple data sources.  

In Data Exploration, we used to do exploration about the data.  Those are VISUALIZATIONS not reports.

This is for your understanding the terminology in VA.

We can meet these kind of requirements.  Please try to use Controls and Parameters where it necessary.

Regards, 

Venu Murala

Venu Murala
TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Idenney,

It's better to use Stack container.....

Thanks & Regards,

Teja Surapaneni.

Renato_sas
SAS Employee

I agree with you, Teja. We should try to rely on the objects provided by VA to solve problems like that whenever possible. Stacked container is a good one for this case.

ldenney
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi Renato & Teja - Part of my issue was having a lot of data elements that I want graphed but I don't want to have to build each one. Wouldn't the stacked container require me to build a graph for each variable?
Renato_sas
SAS Employee

You can create one and polish it the way that you want, then simply create copies of it (duplicate menu option) and only change the data element of interest on those copies.

Frank_Boekamp
Quartz | Level 8

And then when you want to change your polished version you have to change a lot of graphs. The parameter solution is working fine though.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation