BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello everyone, I am in process of loading our first set of datasets into LASR tables from our SQL Server registered tables library.  I have been watching some of SAS video's and based on my reading on some of the blogs mostly adding and LASR extension to the name of LASR.  For example if my table name called T_Employee in LASR they name it T_Employee LASR.  Is there any reason for it and if I don't use a LASR would it be an issue in the future?

Thank you for your assistant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Personally I can't see the point of renaming a table when loading it into LASR. Adding LASR as a suffix on LASR table name looks completely redundant to me as you can identify all LASR tables by the SAS library they are in.

We have a practice of preparing our LASR tables in a normal SAS library first, which we refer to as our LASR Staging library. Then we keep exactly the same table names when we load them into LASR. To me this a simple and obvious approach - changing table names unless there is a good business reason seems pointless. I can understand you would want to have different names if the table contents were different, for example if you were doing update-type loads rather than replacement-type loads, but if your load and LASR tables are identical I suggest keeping the names the same is good practice. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Personally I can't see the point of renaming a table when loading it into LASR. Adding LASR as a suffix on LASR table name looks completely redundant to me as you can identify all LASR tables by the SAS library they are in.

We have a practice of preparing our LASR tables in a normal SAS library first, which we refer to as our LASR Staging library. Then we keep exactly the same table names when we load them into LASR. To me this a simple and obvious approach - changing table names unless there is a good business reason seems pointless. I can understand you would want to have different names if the table contents were different, for example if you were doing update-type loads rather than replacement-type loads, but if your load and LASR tables are identical I suggest keeping the names the same is good practice. 

L2Fly
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you @SASKiwi for your help and info.  Much appreciated, the way I have ours setup is to using ODBC library straight to our DW and registered all of tables we want users to access from EG or SAS Studio.  Then based on the business requirement I am moving some of these tables into LASR to be used by our users in visual analytics.  I am assuming you "your LASR staging" is the same as my ODBC library. 

Again thanks for the info.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation