BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

I have a problem with (public) LASR Analytic Server (SAS VA version 7.3), which is not starting and returns this error log:

-------------- Task Summary --------------
SUCCESS (SASJob PreCode)
ERRORS  (Store Process ID)
----------------------------------------------
ERROR: Insufficient authorization to perform operation on file
       "C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Applications\SASVisualAnalytics\VisualAnalyticsAdministrator\Monitoring\PIDs\smp_sasva_10031.pid".
ERROR: I/O failure.
----------------------------------------------

It worked fine last week, but after weekend, when I had to shut down a host server (windows 2012) because of a maintance and then started the server again, the LASR server in not working.

Can you please tell me what the problem is?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
porlpp
SAS Employee

The file (the .pid file):

"C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Applications\SASVisualAnalytics\VisualAnalyticsAdministrator\Monitoring\PIDs\smp_sasva_10031.pid".

It should be recreated each time you stop/start the LASR server...

It looks like it's somehow stuck.

Try acting as I mentioned in my other reply.

Cheers,

Luís Pereira

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
porlpp
SAS Employee

Hi,

Are you starting the LASR server with exactly the same user you did the last time?

It seems like the .pid file got somehow stuck on the server’s shutdown…

With a host administrator account try the following:

• Delete de .pid file: "C:\SAS\Config\Lev1\Applications\SASVisualAnalytics\VisualAnalyticsAdministrator\Monitoring\PIDs\smp_sasva_10031.pid"
  • Try to start the LASR Server with the user you specifically created to be the SAS LASR Server Administrator

Cheers and good luck,

Luís Pereira
Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi,
LOG clearly mentions that USER has no permission to start LASR Server.
Please check this two things,

1-Make sure your user (from which you are trying to start LASR Server) has Log on as a Batch job right in Windows , and read & write rights for C:/SAS/Config

2-In SMC, User has VA Administartor Role.

Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, but both two things you mentioned my user had before my problem started (as well as now). Except the "write" right for config folder, but that i didn´t have it before and it worked fine. I haven´t changed anything since then.

Strange thing is that I used one user, which was created during the instalation of VA, for starting the LASR server and it didn´t work. But when I used a second user which was created after the instalation of VA and it´s same as the first user (same rights) I was able to started the LASR server. So that I do not understand...

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi @Traskac;

Make sure that the user which was created during installtion of VA (generally sasdemo) has appropriate righrs on WIndows environment and it is linked to the SAS User, this is the only reason after reviewing your scenario.

porlpp
SAS Employee

The file (the .pid file):

It should be recreated each time you stop/start the LASR server...

It looks like it's somehow stuck.

Try acting as I mentioned in my other reply.

Cheers,

Luís Pereira
Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I will try your solution and I let you know if it helps.

Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7
Hello porlpp,

I´ve just tried restarting the server, so both "pid" files was deleted and then I started the both lasr servers and it worked. Strangely that It did not work before, after the shutdown of the host server.

But thanks for your answers, I appreciate it.
Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Kalind_Patel,

Thanks again for your answer.

Yes, it is "sasdemo" user which was created during the instalation of VA and it has rights on windows and it´s linked to the sas user. Like I said before, this user worked fine before I had to shutdown a host server. After that It works strangely. Now the sasdemo acount can start/stop the lasr server (only the public) after several restarts of the host server. And again...I didn´t changed anything.

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi @Traskac;

You tried to start both LASR & Public LASR at the same time ??
because some time it causes issue and it will start only one server at a time because of Port conflicts.

Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Kalind_Patel,

Well, yes I did it for the first time and It was ok, then after the shutdown when i did it with different user It was ok too.
Now it seems that the sasdemo user works fine, because i´ve just tried restarting the host server so the "PID" files was deleted and than I as a sasdemo user started both servers and it works.
So I just don´t know why it did not work before, after the shutdown of the host server...

But thanks again for your answers, I appreciate it.

Kalind_Patel
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello @Traskac;

These things happens generally when two processes trying to start at the same time,

that s why it's best practice to start both server separately,

Anyways I'm glad you've solved your problem;

Thanks @porlpp for the solution. Smiley Happy

Traskac
Obsidian | Level 7
Yeah, it is good to know for next time:-)
boschy
Fluorite | Level 6

I just had exactly the same problem this morning for our VA 7.1 deployment.

This solution worked for me, too.

lachlan-macnish
Calcite | Level 5

We had the same issue.

I checked the existing .pid file and it was owned by the LSF Admin user, not the LASR Admin user, so I think last time LASR was started it was done with the LSF Admin user by mistake.  Because of this, the .pid file was owned by the LSF Admin user, and so the LASR Admin user couldn't over-write the file when it tried to create the new .pid file.

Now I think there is a second issue here.  If the LASR server isn't stopped manually/explicitly in the VA Administrator, the .pid file gets left behind (when it would have been deleted if it was manually/explicity stopped in VA Administrator).  This is why you can now stop and start with any user, because every time you stop the .pid file is deleted.  I think you'll find if you leave the LASR server running but then stop the SAS services (e.g. in the Windows Services.msc) then you will fine the .pid file is not deleted, and you will then only be able to start LASR with the same user that started it last time until you start and stop LASR for the .pid file to be deleted again.

Sorry, that's a very squiggly explanation.  I hope it can be followed.

I need to validate this theory next time I can actually stop and start the Services without stopping LASR first.

Anyway, thanks for all of your info.  It helped me to find the issue.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 16 likes
  • 7 in conversation