BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Greetings,

We have a few large reports that just do not render well in the SAS mobile app and consumers do not wish to use/learn the mobile app. Is it possible to have them open in the user's phone browser?

Thanks,

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Gary,

The SAS Visual Analytics Viewer (VA 7.4 and earlier) and the SAS Report Viewer (VA 8.1 & 8.2) are the only way to view reports in a browser.  Unfortunately, the viewer doesn't work on a mobile device.

-Joy

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Gary,

The SAS Visual Analytics Viewer (VA 7.4 and earlier) and the SAS Report Viewer (VA 8.1 & 8.2) are the only way to view reports in a browser.  Unfortunately, the viewer doesn't work on a mobile device.

-Joy

ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you Joy_SAS,

Just so I understand fully, when we create a VA (7.3) report and publish it, it is impossible for anyone to view that report on their phone except through the SAS BI app.

Thanks for the extra time.

Gary

Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

I always use the viewer to view reports, so Mobile BI is not my area of expertise.  It's my understanding that anytime you try to open a report on a mobile device, you're automatically directed to the app store if you don't already have Mobile BI installed.  I thought we had a statement like that in the SAS Visual Analytics documentation, but I haven't found it.  I'll keep looking to see if it was in a version prior to 7.3.

-Joy

RobbyP
SAS Employee

VA does not support mobile browsers, and requires the SAS Mobile BI App. Mobile browsers are more restrictive than desktop browsers, and there is a lack of consistency between mobile browsers.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the resistance to having your report consumers install the SAS Mobile App? This Mobile App provides a great native mobile experience for your users to interact with reports.

-Robby

ghartge
Quartz | Level 8

Hey RobbyP,

Yeah, no worries. The pushback in our environment is simply an unfamiliarity with technology and apps. Adding to that are reports that may be looked at once a quarter (or less) therefore not interacting with the app very often.  

Although the app has many benefits, it isn't to me and others, very intuitive. Of course, then we have the phone versus the tablet.

The ability to pinch and zoom would be nice. : )

Thanks,

Gary

RobbyP
SAS Employee
While "pinch and zoom" is not supported, if you hover over report object (touch and hold), the magnifying glass appears and you can move it around the report object.
-Robby
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

It turns out if you're using a Windows 10 mobile device, SAS Report Viewer is available.  Last week, we updated the SAS Report Viewer (the report viewer) 8.2 documentation to say this:  "Because the report viewer is not supported on iOS and Android mobile devices, mobile users are redirected to SAS Mobile BI when opening a report. Windows 10 mobile devices use the report viewer."

-Joy

JuanS_OCS
Amethyst | Level 16

Hello @ghartge,

I think this is an excellent question. 

@Joy_SAS@RobbyP, I feel very keen to learn more about it. Since VA is moving clearly to HTML5 and, hence, to responsiveness on the themes, it would make sense to me to make the VA reports available just through the mobile browsers.  Is this feature in the roadmap for future versions? And it is not, It would be probably a great idea to include it and implement it on the new and shiny SAS platform/Viya. What do you think?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 4 in conversation