BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MicheldeKooter
Calcite | Level 5

Hi VA users,

I got the question from one of our business users. Is it possible to change the icons of the object type report, data query and exploration in My Content on the Home page of the Hub?

It would be nice if a preview of the first section of the report is visible to distinguish the different reports in My Contents.

Thanks for assistence,

Michel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MicheldeKooter
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I created a solution for the requirement.

1. I created a report Home.

2. I created images with printscreens of the reports we have. For example, save an image for the print screen of the report Sales.

3. I added these images to the report Home

4. I added a report link as a property of the image. The link will sent you to the report when you click on the image.

5. When you click on the image Sales you will be redirected to the report Sales.

Michel

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

What you are asking for isn't available at this time.  It's a great idea, but one that is a bit challenging to implement.  rendering pseudo-realistic thumbnails of each report requires retrieving data and running the same analysis as opening the first section of each of the reports.  If even just a few dozen users were hitting the Home page at the same time each with ten or so favorites and recents, the system would have to renders 100's of reports.

Would rendering the first section of the report using stylized graphics suffice?  For example, instead of seeing a very generic report icon, you might see the real title with stylized graphs/tables that indicate what type of object it is, but don't reflect the true data.

MicheldeKooter
Calcite | Level 5

Hi David,

Thanks for your reaction. I agree that rendering is an issue with the preview.

It would be nice if a screenshot can be saved as an icon to avoid rendering. Could that be an enhancement?

Michel

DavidHenderson
SAS Employee

That would potentially work if all users had the same access to the report.  Because of table security and even row-level security, users can potentially see very different data in the same report.  As a result, a thumbnail created based on your data and shown to me presents a security risk.  That means that using a single thumbnail for all users isn't a valid solution if the thumbnail shows real data.  That is why I suggested the use of stylized icons.

MarcoU
Calcite | Level 5

Another question then, is it possible to replace the icons by self made icons, that are more in agreement with the styles that my company uses? What are the specifications and how could we replace them?

Thank you!

MicheldeKooter
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

I created a solution for the requirement.

1. I created a report Home.

2. I created images with printscreens of the reports we have. For example, save an image for the print screen of the report Sales.

3. I added these images to the report Home

4. I added a report link as a property of the image. The link will sent you to the report when you click on the image.

5. When you click on the image Sales you will be redirected to the report Sales.

Michel

jchase2
Calcite | Level 5

Creative solution - thanks for sharing!

MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14

FYI, This is now possible with SAS Visual Analytics 7.1 by changing a property within the SAS Management Console. The steps to do this are described on page 4 "Is there a way for me to see a sample of the report or exploration instead of the default icons?"

instead of seeing

Kind Regards,

Michelle

//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation