BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
dubina
Fluorite | Level 6

...Basin of Attraction Fields.   I have attached .PNG files for each of those representationsWatson Polygon Function.PNGLabeled Network Graph.PNGWatson Polygon Function.PNG

1. http://www.ibm.com/smarterplanet/us/en/ibmwatson/discovery-advisor.html

Earlier today, I saw a SAS sidepanel ad (with orange nodes and edges) that looked a lot like the semantic network map / IBM Discovery Advisor Polygon function depicted above. (I could not find the SAS sidepanel ad when I looked for it again.)

What I would like to know at this point is whether or not the three representations and the SAS sidepanel ad are

generically similar or different, and what nomenclature best fits them all.

Thanks, 

Watson Polygon Function.PNG
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

You might consider the term "node-link diagram" -- I have seen this used generically to refer to these types of graphs, although maybe there are some finer nuances to the terminology.

In SAS Visual Analytics our network graph is called a "network diagram".

SAS also offers a product called Network Visualization Workshop that might be of interest:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grnvwug/64998/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0q343kxjyj36jn1e...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

You might consider the term "node-link diagram" -- I have seen this used generically to refer to these types of graphs, although maybe there are some finer nuances to the terminology.

In SAS Visual Analytics our network graph is called a "network diagram".

SAS also offers a product called Network Visualization Workshop that might be of interest:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/grnvwug/64998/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0q343kxjyj36jn1e...

dubina
Fluorite | Level 6
Thanks Sam. I see lots of "network diagrams" these days. IBM's Watson Discovery Advisor "Polygon Function" provides "clickable" nodes that open to reveal the nodes' source data. Is that typical of SAS network diagrams, as well?
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

In the network diagram in Visual Analytics, there are data tips (like tooltips) for each node that show the node values when you move the cursor over them. Is that what you are thinking of?

I'm not sure about SAS Network Visualization Workshop, I haven't used that product before.

dubina
Fluorite | Level 6

Sam,

Watson's Polygon Function is a network diagram in the Schneiderman tradition, that is, overview first, zoom and filter, then details on demand.

"Watson sees a common link between some of these genes and the LCK gene. The researcher can then evaluate the nature of any relationship by clicking on any of the nodes and exploring the source data."

I have applied for a Watson Discovery Advisor demonstration, but I have not yet used it in the manner you see here.  (As I recall, the video gives a brief look at Polygon Function node clicking and source data.)

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

SAS offers a free demo of Visual Analytics if you would like to look at the network diagram in the software.

Go here:

http://www.sas.com/en_us/software/business-intelligence/visual-analytics/demo.html

At the bottom of the page, click "Build your own reports". You will need to register a profile, but you can access a full-featured demo of Visual Analytics. The demo exploration has two network diagrams already created:

network.png

Hopefully that helps,

Sam

dubina
Fluorite | Level 6

Sam, I will have a look (after tax season). and tell you how SAS compares to IBM Waston.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation