BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JMDONS
Calcite | Level 5

I am using a Tree Map and trying to highlight a specific tile in it with a custom display rule on the Tree Map object. It is coming up with a warning/info message saying that "This graph has display rules that might conflict with other data colors that are essential to the report object."

Has anyone come across the above, if yes, please advise on how to hide the message or if there is any workaround available? Thanks in advance.

12 REPLIES 12
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hello,

I can't seem to get this message to appear in VA 7.3. I wonder if the behavior changed?

Does your treemap have the Color role assigned?

For me, the display rule is not being applied if my treemap has a Color role assigned.

For you, I wonder if you could avoid the message by changing the gradient colors on the Styles tab for the treemap so that there is no conflict. (Or the fill color if you don't have the Color role assigned.)

Please let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Sam

JMDONS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Sam,

Thanks for your message.

We are using VA 7.2 Hotfix 02, just wondering if this has been tackled in 7.3.

The Tree Map has been assigned different shades of Blue in "Styles" > "Gradient". This is displaying a set of people.

The color used in the "Display rule" is a shade of yellow. This is used to highlight a certain person from the above set of people.

I have tried using different colors for the "Display rule" but the error or should I say the information icon still appears.

TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Hello JMDONS,

From VA 7.1 to 7.3 we are also getting the same error, when I have applied Display Rules on Tree map...😕😕😕

Anna & Sam can please forward this error to SAS R&D Team..,

Hope this will fix in future versions..

Thanks & Regards,
Teja Surapaneni.
Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Teja, you get the message in 7.3? I couldn't get it to appear. I was using a color-mapped value display rule.

Edit: OK, I can get the message only if I used an expression-based rule.

TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello Sam,

I am getting the error, when I appy Expression based Display rule..

Teja 

AnnaBrown
Community Manager

Hi all,

Thanks for bringing this up. We've noted your input about the warning and the feedback has been given to development for future consideration.

Best,

Anna

Join us for SAS Community Trivia
SAS Bowl XXIX, The SAS Hackathon
Wednesday, March 8, 2023, at 10 AM ET | #SASBowl

Pcp
Fluorite | Level 6 Pcp
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

Warning message appears if display rules and color role both are used together. To avoid warning message either one of them can be used , define all the blue color shades using display rules and dont use color role.

Rgards,

Pcp.

TejaSurapaneni
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi Pcp,

Will you please explain bitmore with one example, what do you mean by diplay rule shold be blue color shades........???

Thanks & Regards,

Teja Surapaneni.

Pcp
Fluorite | Level 6 Pcp
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

In tree map if we are using Role > color, then three colors whichever you define in style > gradient are used and these colors are applied by using relativity.

E g  - If we define Achievement Percentage in Role > Color and used default colors in style>gradient (Red,Yellow,Green) then tree map will appear in the shade of three colors Note- These shades are automatically defined on the basis of relativity of defined role (Achievement Percentage).

Now if we use display rules that means we are over-riding automatically defined colors using gradient colors so the warning appears.

So to avoid warning message its good not to use Role > color (making gradient colors not effective Note- Fill color is still effective) and only use display rules to define colors of tree map that means define colors for all ranges of Achievement Percentage.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pcp.

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I had the same problem with treemaps and geo region map. While for treemaps, it is possible to remove the variable assigned to colour, under Role; for the geo region map, the colour Role has to have an assigned variable. Is there any way around this?

It is possible to turn off the warning message for this particular graph?

I also thought that if I could customized the geo region map, and untick the colour Role for required, it would be possible. However, I can customize geo region maps. Is there anyway around this?

Thanks!

Rita

TedStolarczyk
SAS Employee

Rita:

Specifically for GeoMaps, if you can work with Geo Bubble Maps (as opposed to Geo Region Maps), Geo Bubble Maps allows you to define Display Rules and skip entering anything for Roles / Color.  This avoids the possible conflict with Styles / Data Colors / Gradient.  And thus will prevent that Exclamation point thing (!) on the bottom right of visual object warning you of such.  Just like you can for Tree Maps (already mentioned by somebody earlier in this community posting thread).

Geo Region Map object forces you to have at least FREQUENCY in the Roles / Color choice.  Which means you will always have the chance of Styles / Data Colors / Gradient causing possible conflicts with Display Rules.  The SAS VA Product Manager has said: "For a Geo Region map, the size of the shape is not determined by a measure, so color is the only way you have to distinguish one region from another."  Thus why it was intentionally designed to require a Roles / Color choice.  But he will take into consideration possible plans for changing this in a future release of VA.

Sincerely,

Ted Stolarczyk, SAS Customer Loyalty team

rmalcata
Quartz | Level 8

@TedStolarczyk thanks for the reply. The only reason why I'm using the geo region mas is that I do not have the lat/lon coordinates. I'm using the regions that SAS recognized. I will investigate this a bit further. 

To summarize the answer, it is not possible to hide/not shown the warning triangle.

Thanks!

Rita

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 7 in conversation