BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sahrens98
Calcite | Level 5

Hi all,

using SAS VA 7.3 I'm trying to create a line plot or time series chart where some of the values in-between a time range are missing (see the attached example, where values for May, 31st and June 7th are missing).

It seems that VA recognizes the gap in the time series, but it interpolates from adjacent values. So for example, June 7th will be a linear interpolation from June, 6th and June 8th. 

Is there a way to control the behavior (similar to "Break the line plot" option in line charts in SAS Enterprise Guide)? I haven't found anything yet, and I'd rather want the value for June, 7th displayed as either missing or at zero.

What am I doing wrong?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

sahrens98

Screenshot_timeseriesplot.PNG
2 REPLIES 2
TriciaAanderud
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Here's a technique I've used with customer's before that might work for you.

SAS VA: Dealing with Missing Dates

Tricia Aanderud

Twitter: @taanderud - Follow me!

sahrens98
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks Tricia,

hm - that adds extra complexity in the data preparation, I was hoping that I simply missed an option in the settings that lets me control the behavior of gaps in the time series, but apparently there is none.

I've seen time series charts where indeed there was a gap displayed and the line chart was interrupted at the time range) but that was for several weeks of missing data. 

Thanks anyway. At least I have some workaround.

Best regards,

sahrens98

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation