BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
semone
Fluorite | Level 6

I have a table with some thousands of records.  Each record has a PDF that is stored as binary data.  Is there a native way to display these PDF's in VA?  I am thinking of a model in which I would have a Table showing TITLE, TYPE, etc. and then a column with the file itself available for selecting and opening.

6 REPLIES 6
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

SAS-VA is running Linux (A type of many Unix OS).

To view a pdf you need to be able to download that to your device that has a pdf reader installed.  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Quentin
Super User

Hi,

I haven't played with VA.  In the stored process web app, if you have a pdf file on the server, you can stream it back to a user's browser by using a data _null_ step that writes to _webout.  Then the browser will pop up a file download box:

Perhaps something like that could be done in VA?

--Q.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Nascif_SAS
SAS Employee

VA doesn't support binary files like PDFs natively, but it can create data-driven URLs that you can leverage to display your PDFs.

I would keep the PDF files in a separate table, accessible by a stored process - or even as static files in a directory visible to your web browser.

Then on the table you will load in VA, instead of the PDF content store a corresponding unique name.

You can then use that unique name to create data-driven links in your report, that when clicked by the user will call the stored process that retrieves the file (as described by @Quentin) or directly download them as a static file.

Quentin
Super User

Thanks for jumping in    Glad to hear my time learning stored processes won't have been wasted if we some day get a VA setup.  : )

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Nascif_SAS
SAS Employee

Not at all @Quentin. We are looking for ways to leverage stored processes even more in VA. Suggestions and ideas are welcome!

semone
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks for the pointers folks.  I'll get back if I have anything else, but I think I'm certainly at a point where I can make some trouble getting started. Smiley Happy

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation