BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JDHalley
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am trying to work out how to plot records that have UK grid refs on a map of the UK. 

I have a list of records for the last 100 years that show where each species has been identified and would like to visualize the decline in some species over time.

Any advice is very welcome.

Thanks in advance, j

5 REPLIES 5
Jagadishkatam
Amethyst | Level 16
Could you please provide sample data and expected graph any example
Thanks,
Jag
JDHalley
Calcite | Level 5

Many thanks for your quick reply. Please see two images below. Best regards, j

JDHalley_0-1592732815787.pngJDHalley_1-1592733084991.png

JDHalley
Calcite | Level 5

I now have four shape files that contain x y coordinates and a data file that I would like to plot that contains grid refs. I think I need to convert my grid refs to x and y coordinates. 

FalkoSchulz
SAS Employee

If you just need the actual coordinates you could simply import your shape files into SAS. Related PROC IMPORT function helps you to import the shape file into a SAS data sets. Once loaded into Visual Analytics, you can define a new geographical item based on your x/y coordinates (latitude/longitude) and visualize the data using the object 'geo coordinates'.

I'm not too sure whether you wanted to visualize the actual grid ref cell as well? If so - you could try the 'geo region+coordinates' object and use the 'region' layer to visualize the cells. Now, for the region layer you will need a custom polygon provider representing the grid cells. There are a number of tutorials online how to create such provider - a good one to start is probably https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2018/02/07/creating-regional-map-custom-polygons-sas-visual-analyt... . I'm not too sure whether your shape files contains the grid cells or just the data for biodiversity? If you don't have the data, you could probably also create such grid data set using some basic coding.

There are some more information about custom polygon providers in the VA doc: https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=vacdc&cdcVersion=8.2&docsetId=vareportdata&docsetTarget=p031...

Hope this helps. Falko

JDHalley
Calcite | Level 5
Many thanks for this Falko.
Best wishes and thanks for your time and expertise,
j

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation