BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Suvi2020
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello Members,

I am new to VA. I am trying to highlight a row of the crosstab either through some color or through indentation. I searched around the forum and found the below solution. But I don't think this functionality is available in the current version.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Visual-Analytics/Display-rules-in-Crosstabs/m-p/263004#M3888

Thanks,

Suvi

Row/CatCat1Cat2Cat3Cat4
Row11234
Row22345
Row32345
Row42345
Total7111519
5 REPLIES 5
Joy_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi @Suvi2020,

Unfortunately, there's not a feature that enables you to indent values in cells in a crosstab.

I'm not sure which version of SAS Visual Analytics you're using when you say "current" because there are multiple releases being used by customers right now. However, display rules (which you cross referenced in the other post from 2016) are available in the 8.x releases (in SAS Viya) and the 7.x releases (on SAS 9.4). You can create them using the Display Rules pane (on the right side by default).

The Display Rule documentation is available here: https://documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=vacdc&cdcVersion=8.5&docsetId=vareportdata&docsetTarget=p0i3hwa.... (This is the 8.5 documentation. You can find all releases of SAS Visual Analytics documentation here: https://support.sas.com/en/software/visual-analytics-support.html#documentation.)  

I hope this helps,

Joy

Suvi2020
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks @Joy_SAS !

After going through the documentation it looks like we can only do the display rule by creating condition on "Measure". is it possible to have a rule based on the category? Like I want to highlight it if the row value is "row3" as shown in the sample table in my original post.

Regards,

Suvi

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Hi Suvi,

The thread that you linked to in your first post will work in the current versions of VA.

Here, I have created a rule to highlight rows where Eye Color=Blue.

crosstab.png

As you can see, there are some limitations to this approach. You must include the "Flag" calculated item in the crosstab. Only the cell for one measure in each row will be highlighted. But it might be better than nothing.

To achieve the result above, I created a calculated item named "Flag" with this expression:

IF ( 'Eye Color'n In ('Blue') )
RETURN 1
ELSE 0

I assigned Flag to the crosstab, then created a display rule based on Flag:

rule.png

The Placement option specifies which column receives the highlight.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Sam

Suvi2020
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, @Sam_SAS!

I used your suggested method and it works exactly as you have mentioned in your post. The only problem is it's not implementable in the report that I am trying to create as I have lots of columns and an additional column for each original column is not viable in the report. 

I am not sure why it's not given as a feature in SAS VA as I think it's should be a standard feature(maybe with some restrictions) similar to the feature that is available for the listing report. 

Thanks again for your solution!

Regards,

Suvi

Sam_SAS
SAS Employee

Yes, the workaround I offered is not actually that great 😞

I don't know why there is not an easy way to highlight a row with a display rule. 

You should submit this request as an "idea" here:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas/label-name/sas%20visual%20analyt...

The development team reviews these, though it might take a while for them to look at it and respond.

Thanks,

Sam

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation