BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ramakanthkrovi
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi guys,

Note: I am on v7.4.

Is it possible for VA to access and run a program by itself with dynamic values (user input) as macro variables. If a user enters the from and to dates, the macro variables in my code can automatically run the code for the dates entered ? or any such instances where user input can access the macro variables dynamically and change the value and execute the program?

Regards,

Rama

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AndrewHowell
  • Elsewhere (Enterprise Guide) create a SAS stored process with prompts
  • When designing a Visual Analytics report, add a Stored Process object.
  • Other VA objects (report/section filters, etc) can create & populate parameters; these parameters can be passed to the VA Stored Process object, which can consume them as macros.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
AndrewHowell
  • Elsewhere (Enterprise Guide) create a SAS stored process with prompts
  • When designing a Visual Analytics report, add a Stored Process object.
  • Other VA objects (report/section filters, etc) can create & populate parameters; these parameters can be passed to the VA Stored Process object, which can consume them as macros.
Ramakanthkrovi
Obsidian | Level 7

@AndrewHowell is it not possible for other users to execute the stored process if they don't have SAS EG access?

AndrewHowell

@Ramakanthkrovi - I only suggested EG as the simplest way to create the stored process. The stored process can (should?) be able to be executed by any SAS (metadata) client: EG, Visual Analytics, Add-In for Microsoft Office, Stored Process web application, etc.

Ramakanthkrovi
Obsidian | Level 7

I have created the Stored Process in SAS EG and executed it from VA. It worked fine for me as it is created by me but when someone else tried to access the stored process from SAS VA Viewer, they were not able to execute the stored proc because SAS EG needs my(developer) credentials. Is there a workaround this issue?

AndrewHowell

When creating the stored process, did you register it to use a workspace server or the stored process server? (Should be stored process server, which uses a shared credential).

Ramakanthkrovi
Obsidian | Level 7

@AndrewHowell

I tried to run it under "Stored Process Server only" as suggested but I get this error when I try to execute :

ERROR: Failed to load analytic extension for the distributed computing environment.

There are two datasets which have to be loaded in memory in the same program. Do you think that could be the reason because out of the two the second one is loaded into memory without error but the first one is throwing the error. Anything that should be checked?

Regards,

Rama

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What is SSRS? SAS uses hundreds of acronyms so please be specific.

Please be aware that SAS VA is a "cut-down" version of SAS that may not necessarily have all of the functionality of traditional SAS. If SSRS uses any functionality not in Base SAS then it is highly likely to fail. 

AndrewHowell

@SASKiwi - I think @Ramakanthkrovi is referring to the Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS - I don't think SAS "does" 4-letter acronyms..) being able to call pre-defined code.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

@AndrewHowell - thanks for the clarification. "SAS programs like SSRS" had me confused.

AndrewHowell
Read: "SAS programs similar to Microsoft's SSRS"

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 3 in conversation