BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AsmaFejjari
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am new with VA

I would like to represent an increasing curve over time that represent cumulative values for years ( 10 years )..

To build my variable I used :

CumulativePeriod(_Sum_, "Mesure", Date , _Inferred_, _ByYear_, 0, _Full_, )

but The cumulativeperiod function calculates only over one year.

PS: the depth of the historical data available is not fixed,it depends on an other categorie variable..

Thanks in advance

10 REPLIES 10
Pete_J_L
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Asma

I'm new to VA too. This is the first thing I tried to do. And then I find it can't even perform a basic cumulative function over more than a year.

The mind boggles.

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Have a look at my post in this thread should give you what you need,

you basically have to calculate each year separately  then add together

Pete_J_L
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you! I'll give that a try. Just to clarify for my newbie brain, how does one create aggregate measures of prior years?
itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

Theres guidance here on creating cumulative period data, you will just need to adjust item 6 in the first image shown in that link to pick how many years to go back, -1,-2 etc

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Let us know how you get on 🙂

Don't forget to mark the thread as solved if the suggestion works

Pete_J_L
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the advice, I gave it a fair crack, but didn't have any luck. It's far too fiddly for what should be very basic functionality within VA.

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Let us know where you hit problems,

I'm not one to pull my punches with VA (Think it lacks in several key areas) but in this case I'm not sure it would be any easier in competitor products as they all seem to work over one year periods and therefore need some fiddling

Pete_J_L
Calcite | Level 5

In Tableau it is simple as creating a running total table calculation. There is no arbitrary time limit, and would would there be? It makes no sense.

I'm not having much luck creating the previous year aggregations in your solution, I'm also confused as to whether your solution uses the parallel period function or the cumulative period function, or some combination of both.

itchyeyeballs
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I used the parallel period function for each preceding year and added them together.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

Tips for filtering data sources in SAS Visual Analytics

See how to use one filter for multiple data sources by mapping your data from SAS’ Alexandria McCall.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation