BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I saw an interesting article on this site that seems to saying you can have SAS/Studio download a file that your SAS code generates.  

But I cannot find ANY documentation on this feature and how to use it.

Try this program in SAS/Studio

%let _DATAOUT_MIME_TYPE=text/csv;
%let _DATAOUT_NAME=class.csv;

data _null_;
  file _dataout dsd ;
  set sashelp.class ;
  if _n_=1 then put 'name,age,sex';
  put name age sex;
run;
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@M_Dexter wrote:

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your request.  We have added a new_DATAOUT topic to the SAS Studio documentation.

You can check it out at Exporting a File That Uses the _DATAOUT Macros.

Please let us know if you have additional feedback!

Marie

Thanks.  But I am confused by the language in the document.  It talks about _DATAOUT macros, but the code does not use any macros.  Just macro variables (also called SYMBOLS in the SAS documentation).

I am also confused by the location of this document.  It is placed in the section on how to modify a repository of code.  It does not appear to me that this functionality is related to the repository feature of SAS/Studio.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions.

What is it that triggers the interface to download the file?  It seems that the trigger is the use of the _DATAOUT fileref.

Can the user redirect the _DATAOUT fileref to some existing file and have the system download that file?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Bari_sas
SAS Employee

Hi Tom!

I don’t see the fileref _dataout officially documented either. It’s part of the (voluminous) precode that is generated by default by SAS Studio.

From SAS Studio 5.2 Enterprise, if I choose options..preferences. Under “code and log” I see “Show generated SAS code in the SAS log”:

Bari_sas_0-1619799531141.png

With this preference enabled, when I submit any code from SAS Studio, I see the precode in the log (with filename _DATAOUT shown here at line 20):

Bari_sas_1-1619799531145.png

So the existence of that fileref helps the code that you are showing create a file that is downloaded. Here's a doc reference I am finding on the macro variables _DATAOUT_MIME_TYPE &  _DATAOUT_NAME :

https://go.documentation.sas.com/doc/en/webeditorcdc/3.6/webeditorrepodg/n0303y7wu1a1myn13kuatdwnfqd...

Let me know if this helps and if there is more information you need.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@Bari_sas Thanks.  I had seen that page, but I am looking for actual documentation on this file download feature.

M_Dexter
SAS Employee

Hi Tom,

Thank you so much for your request.  We have added a new_DATAOUT topic to the SAS Studio documentation.

Marie

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@M_Dexter wrote:

Hi Tom,

Marie

Thanks.  But I am confused by the language in the document.  It talks about _DATAOUT macros, but the code does not use any macros.  Just macro variables (also called SYMBOLS in the SAS documentation).

I am also confused by the location of this document.  It is placed in the section on how to modify a repository of code.  It does not appear to me that this functionality is related to the repository feature of SAS/Studio.

There are still a lot of unanswered questions.

What is it that triggers the interface to download the file?  It seems that the trigger is the use of the _DATAOUT fileref.

Can the user redirect the _DATAOUT fileref to some existing file and have the system download that file?

david_hou
Calcite | Level 5

Is there a way of uploading local file into Viya server, similar to this _Dataout way? Otherwise we have to use FTP tools to save to the server first, then use the proc import. It would be very helpful and convenient if a similar approach is available to upload local file directly into Viya / Studio server.

david_hou
Calcite | Level 5

Is there a way of uploading local file into Viya server, similar to this _Dataout way? Otherwise we have to use FTP tools to save to the server first, then use the proc import. It would be very helpful and convenient if a similar approach is available to upload local file directly into Viya / Studio server.

Bari_sas
SAS Employee

To address the following question:

There is not an automated process that makes local files from your client PC available to the SAS Viya server. I suggest the following blog as a resource:

https://blogs.sas.com/content/sgf/2022/02/14/where-are-the-files-that-you-have-access-to-through-sas...

..and if you have follow up questions I would be happy to address them via a tracking entry opened to Technical Support. This will help us have a direct dialog if I need more information about your Viya environment. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation