BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
NiranjanaKR
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi!

I am new to SAS University Studio. How do I make best use of SAS University Studio for teaching Stats for Six Sigma Black Belt, ASQ syllabus?

Currently, I am still learning SAS Programming and hence uncomfortable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DarthPathos
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi!

Welcome to the community.  90% of what you can do in "Base" SAS, you can do in SAS University Edition.  I highly recommend looking at the SAS Documentation on what you what to do (for example, Pareto Charts) and then you should be able to develop the same type of graph in SAS University Edition.  The fully licenced version of SAS has a Quality Control module that is not part of the University Edition, but that doesn't mean the graphs can't be built - you will just need to use some creativity.

I recommend starting off with this paper - although using an older version of SAS, it covers a lot of good topics (and the code still works as SAS is 100% backward compatible).

To get an idea of what's possible in SAS's Quality Control software, read through some of the documentation here.  

To get help with SAS University Edition, check out the community here; if you need help getting started with UE, check out this post.  

I also highly recommend the following books, available through SAS Publishing or major bookseller: An Introduction to SAS University Edition by Ron Cody, Business Statistics Made Easy by Greg Lee, and SAS/Graph: Beyond the Basics by Robert Allison.  These books don't cover Six Sigma directly, but a lot of the concepts will be applicable to what you're planning to teach.

Good luck and post back if you have any further questions!

Chris

Has my article or post helped? Please mark as Solution or Like the article!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
DarthPathos
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi!

Welcome to the community.  90% of what you can do in "Base" SAS, you can do in SAS University Edition.  I highly recommend looking at the SAS Documentation on what you what to do (for example, Pareto Charts) and then you should be able to develop the same type of graph in SAS University Edition.  The fully licenced version of SAS has a Quality Control module that is not part of the University Edition, but that doesn't mean the graphs can't be built - you will just need to use some creativity.

I recommend starting off with this paper - although using an older version of SAS, it covers a lot of good topics (and the code still works as SAS is 100% backward compatible).

To get an idea of what's possible in SAS's Quality Control software, read through some of the documentation here.  

To get help with SAS University Edition, check out the community here; if you need help getting started with UE, check out this post.  

I also highly recommend the following books, available through SAS Publishing or major bookseller: An Introduction to SAS University Edition by Ron Cody, Business Statistics Made Easy by Greg Lee, and SAS/Graph: Beyond the Basics by Robert Allison.  These books don't cover Six Sigma directly, but a lot of the concepts will be applicable to what you're planning to teach.

Good luck and post back if you have any further questions!

Chris

NiranjanaKR
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear Colleague,

I have downloaded the paper. This is very helpful. I will try on SASUE current edition. I will come back and update this, hopefully soon.

I wanted to buy the books you suggested. The costs (for a professor working in India), are prohibitive. Let me know If you can help me with online resources.

Kind regards,

Niranjana

DarthPathos
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi - I'm glad the paper helped. Did you have a chance to look at the other documents I linked to?  They may also prove useful.  The books were simply a suggestion if you wanted more information; you should be able to find everything you need through the links I provided.  You can also try lexjansen.com (all the papers from SAS Conferences) and search for terms there.

Good luck and please post back when you have read through the documents!

Chris

NiranjanaKR
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear colleague,

Further, I wanted report that, I had an wonderful, trouble free learning day yesterday. I could advance in my learning. Thanks to you and SAS tutorial videos. I am creating some exercises, from few text books. I can submit the artefacts (Tables from exercises, Programs, output graphs, statistics for analysis, snippets etc), if it can help any learner. Is there any formal procedure for that? Is it allowed? 

DarthPathos
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I'm very happy that you've been able to get this work done 🙂

As far as sharing your work, I think it's a great idea - I will talk to @BeverlyBrown (Community Manager for SAS) and see what her thoughts are.  Glad this worked for you, and I'm excited to see your work!

Chris

NiranjanaKR
Obsidian | Level 7

BTW, I created Pareto chart today and posted it for the consumption of this community. There was an old question asking how to create Pareto chart. Please have a look.

Kind regards,

Niranjana

DarthPathos
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Very cool Pareto Chart 🙂

I am starting to put together some ideas for a blog post on Quality Control and SAS University Edition.  I will message you to get some feedback and ideas, so we can work together on the article.

Thanks for your ideas!

Chris

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation