BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

I tried to open a file in SAS studio from a folder on the server where the filename contained a + sign as part of the filename.  It said that it could not find the file and showed a filename with the + sign removed.

This looks like an old feature of SAS/Intrnet where + were stripped from values.

Is there a work around for this?  Or am I forced to rename the file on the server before the SAS/Studio interface will let me edit it?

8 REPLIES 8
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Tom,

If it's a Windows server, you could try to use the 8.3 file name (like PROGRA~1 for "Program Files"). The DOS command dir /x displays these names along with the usual names.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

It is Unix server, but even if it where a Windows server I don't think that SAS/Studio would display the 8.3 name for me to click on.

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
I can't find any notes on this issue, so I suggest that you open a track to SAS tech support.
Data never sleeps
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Am wondering why you would have special characters in a path/filename?  There are some general rules of thumb that have been around for a long time - don't use spaces or special characters in paths/filenames being one of those.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The file already exists and I just want to use the GUI to select it and edit.

This particular file is just a list of documentation of the files in the directory that I have been using for a long time. There are normally two of these files. _dir.sas which has one line per macro with the name and description and _dir+.sas which groups the individual macros into groups of related macros.  So the + sign indicates that it is the value-added version of the basic file.

rshannonsmith_SAS
SAS Employee
HI @Tom, What version of SAS Studio are you using?
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Release: 3.4 (Enterprise Edition)

Supported browsers:

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10, 11
  • Mozilla Firefox 21+
  • Google Chrome 27+
  • Apple Safari 6.0+ (on Apple OS X)

Build date: Jun 25, 2015 12:44:07 AM
SAS Mid-tier release: May 27, 2015 7:00:00 PM
SAS release: 9.04.01M3P06242015
SAS platform: Linux LIN X64 2.6.32-573.8.1.el6.x86_64

rshannonsmith_SAS
SAS Employee
Hi @Tom,

We took a look at this in SAS Studio 3.4 and SAS Studio 3.5. Opening a program with a + in the name is not supported in either version, along with a set of other characters. I have recommend that consideration be made for a change in behavior to allow for the use of the + in a future SAS Studio release.

I checked the doc, too. I did not find a list of characters that are prohibited, other than a list of characters that are prohibited in FTP names; see the Using the Navigation Pane section in the Using SAS Studio section of the SAS Studio User's Guide for that list. I am recommending that the doc be updated to give the limitations of the Server Files and Folders tree.

At this point, for your version of SAS Studio, I do not have a work-around to offer other than renaming the file.

I wish I could have come back with better news.

-Shannon

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation