BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aleks2709
Calcite | Level 5

I am using SAS university edition. I see no problem to get data from excel file. My question is if it is possible to connect SAS to SQL server? Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
aleks2709
Calcite | Level 5

This is interesting idea. But I have one more question. I use SAS on windows 10 PC. So to run SAS I use virtual box where I run Linux. When Linux starts, it automatically calls SAS. So to download additional application I need I need some way to get to Linux shell to open internet explorer to download file or download file by some other way. The question appear because I did not work in Linux before. Thank you

Reeza
Super User

The SAS UE VM is locked down and cannot be modified. 

Reeza
Super User

Not officially. If you’re at a post secondary institution they may have a full version available to no or low cost. 

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
You can download from Windows, and then move it/ACCESS from your VM.
Data never sleeps
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
UE is strictly for learning (SAS programming) purposes only. So using a specific ACCESS engine IMO doesn't really meet this criteria.
If you have a use case for which you actually produce results, chances are that you are violating the licence.
Hence the hint from @Reeza.
Data never sleeps
aleks2709
Calcite | Level 5

I do not understand what did you mean in last answer. I installed university edition to study product. Why this should be called violating licence?

GenDemo
Quartz | Level 8

I have the same sentiment here... but I think one should bear in mind what SAS University Edition is intended for.
It is an awesome program (as I am sure we all here in the community know full well) and they need to make sure that University Edition is not used for corporate gain. Having a SQL server running, is a very strong indicator that you are in a corporate environment and should not be using University Edition. The licence agreement that you agree to by using SAS University Edition, is that you are not using it in a corporate environment and/or for financial gain.
But yes, I too have SQL running on my local machine so that I can practice and hone my skills. And it is unfortunate that you can't connect SAS University Edition to it... but I feel there is a good enough reason for it.

Just my 2c worth.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation