BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
JoseAlbertoRami
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello,

I ask your help in order to solve an issue with data upload to SAS onDemand for Academics Server. After you log in into SAS onDemand for Academics it of course load SAS Studio web-based IDE and at the left panel of are able to upload any files you need to work with via web browser. I wonder if there might exist the way of moving this datafiles into your own SAS session filesystem (since I understand it is basically a RHEL SAS Server) maybe through some client like filezilla with an ssh connection or such. 

Thanks beforehand

10 REPLIES 10
ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

If you double-click on the file you want to download in the "Server Files and Folders" pane on the left of the SAS Studio screen it should download the file into the downloads folder on your local machine.

JoseAlbertoRami
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks, but it is not what am asking, perhaps I did not provided an accurate question, What I exactly seek is the way of transfering datafiles (uploading/downloading) between my local machine and the SAS onDemand Server via FTP client or such (like filezilla or whatever) instead of doing it through the browser. And in case of existing what would be the connection properties, the point 6 of this link may help to understand what I ask

http://www.thejuliagroup.com/blog/?p=1625

But I don' how it works

Thank you in advanced

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

From the link you supplied it looks like you need to be an instructor to do that - I suspect registered instructors get the full details of how to upload via FTP

JoseAlbertoRami
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes, Well there shoud be a way of doing this for non instructor users, the link was only to communicate the purpose not as a general reference or something to assume is the only way

ChrisBrooks
Ammonite | Level 13

You can always upload files using the method shown here -> https://support.sas.com/software/products/ondemand-academics/manuals/UploadingDataUsers.pdf but it appears you just can't use an FTP client like Filezilla unless you're an instructor.

JoseAlbertoRami
Fluorite | Level 6

You seem to be right, I search a little more before giving this up and accept that's the only method, it would be really great if there would be a simple way given that it would be as simple as drag and drop, you wouln't have to wait for your browser to load the files and you could do sas stuffs (with all ready stored data) at the same time you upload/download data, also there would be no need of logging into SAS onDemand homepage, wait for it to load SAS Studio and then transfer data, connection could be much easier etc.., But anyhow SAS on Demand is already great, this is only a whim.  I truly thank you so much for your replies.

Reeza
Super User

There are several flavours of SAS if you're a student. 

One is OnDemand and one limitation is the 10MB upload limit as well as the interface.

Use SAS UE via AWS does not have this restriction and SAS UE on your desktop will not have this issue either.

JoseAlbertoRami
Fluorite | Level 6

I'm not a student but certainly work for research in an Academic Institution, Firstly, I don't know if your limit is 10MB but for me it is actually 1GB, in fact as far as I know it is the common maximun limit (1GB) of file size, Secondly, what I am trying to resolve it's not a matter of restrictions, but connection, and in the case of SAS UE through AWS, again, what would be the properties for FTP connection?. Thank you for your answer but still not enough for what am looking for.

Reeza
Super User

You'd have to look at the AWS set up but I'm 99% sure you can FTP to your AWS storage space and upload files. 

It's a suggest of something you can look into. If your Academic institution has an IT department they usually can provide SAS for free or a low cost. Your desktop will be much faster than AoD.

I thought the file limit size was 1GB but uploads were limited to 10MB. I'm happy to be wrong on that one though.

JoseAlbertoRami
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello back, about AWS, I think I have seen somewhere that it can be done via FTP, you're 100% right, I knew that I just don't remember because I used it occasionally, the thing is that SAS onDemand support so much more "SAS modules (like SAS OR)" that SAS UE does not, not even in AWS. On the other hand, If  you have tried proc like IML in SAS OnDemand, you will notice an extreme fastness with regard to calculation speeds, I'm not convinced of the SAS OnDemand host properties, but I'm pretty sure it is about a Intel Xeon with high power memory resources, which compared to my Intel i7 and limited memory is way faster for numerical calculations and related topics, thereby even if I get it installed in my local machine still will be pretty slow, I encourage you to find the inverse of a 1000x1000 matrix using IML in SAS OnDemand, to make the story short the answer is 1-3 seconds, if I try so in my laptop I could get some sleep and by the time I be back am sure it still won't make, so SAS OnDemand is really fast (also importing large files). Thanks

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation