BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ededeStats
Calcite | Level 5

Dear SAS Community,

I have been struggling with my SAS Program to add Clinical Classifications Software Refined (CCSR) for ICD-10 CM diagnosis on to my National Inpatient Sample (NIS) core dataset. I have modified all the parts of the program as instructed in the DXCCSR user guide. Unfortunately I keep getting error messages.

Please find below a sample of my modifications to the program and a snap shot of the error messages.

* FILE LOCATIONS ;
FILENAMe INRAW1 '/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/DXCCSR_v2021-2.csv' lRECL=3000; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
LIBNAME IN1 '/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018'; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
LIBNAME OUT1 '/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/NIS'; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;

* OPTIONAL FILES ;
* Build vertical file? 1=yes, 0=no; %LET VERT=1; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Build default DXCCSR file? 1=yes, 0=no; %LET DFLT=1; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Build horizontal file? 1=yes, 0=no; %LET HORZ=0; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;

* FILE NAMES ;
* Input SAS file member name; %LET CORE=NIS_2018_CORE; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Output SAS file name, vertical; %LET VERTFILE=NIS_CORE_OUTPUT_VERT; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Output SAS file name, horizontal; %LET HORZFILE=OUTPUT_HORZ_FILE_NAME; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Output SAS file name, default DXCCSR; %LET DFLTFILE=OUTPUT_DFLT_FILE_NAME; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;

* INPUT DATA CHARACTERISTICS ;
* Database types, IP/OP/IO; %LET DBTYPE=IP; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Data element to identify IP/OP records; %LET IOVAR=DBTYPE; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Data value to identify IP records; %LET IOVALI=IP; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Data value to identify OP records; %LET IOVALO=OP; *<=== USER MUST;
* Linking key on input SAS data; %LET RECID=KEY; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Prefix of diagnosis variables; %LET DXPREFIX=I10_DX; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Maximum number of DXs on any record; %LET NUMDX=40; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
* Record specific DX Count variable, if not available leave it blank;
%LET NDXVAR=I10_NDX; *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;

Error Messages

ERROR: The variable KEY in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

ERROR: The variable DBTYPE in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

WARNING: The data set WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0

variables.

NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time):

real time           0.01 seconds

cpu time            0.00 seconds

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY.

WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_IN may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0 variables.

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):

real time           0.00 seconds

NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).

711:160   711:74   

NOTE: Variable KEY is uninitialized.

NOTE: Variable I10_NDX is uninitialized.

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.IP_IN.

WARNING: The variable KEY in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

WARNING: The variable KEY in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 4 variables.

WARNING: The data set WORK.DXCCSR_FLAGS may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 3 variables.

real time           0.03 seconds

cpu time            0.04 seconds

ERROR: The variable KEY in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 4 variables.

WARNING: Data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT was not replaced because this step was stopped.

real time           0.00 seconds

ERROR: Variable KEY not found.

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT.

ERROR: Invalid value for the SORTEDBY option.

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.DXCCSR_FLAGS.

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.IP_DFLT_FILE.

Please does anyone know what might be wrong? I am quite new to SAS.

Also, if anyone has any experience using the NIS dataset, please hit me up.

Many thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

As shown in the following log, I think the problem is that in the first proc sort that creates WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY, the non-existent variables KEY and DBTYPE are specified in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME statements.
The following errors may be caused by the failure to create the dataset there, so could you please provide the program you ran and the sample data?

ERROR: The variable DBTYPE in the DROP, KEEP, or RENAME list has never been referenced.

WARNING: The data set WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY may be incomplete.When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0

variables.

real time0.01 seconds

cpu time0.00 seconds

SASKiwi
PROC Star

You need to supply a complete SAS log including both source code and error messages and notes. Post it using the </> icon. Without that we would just be guessing what your code does.

ededeStats
Calcite | Level 5

1          OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;
 73         /******************************************************************/
 74         /* Title:       CCSR FOR ICD-10-CM DIAGNOSIS MAPPING PROGRAM      */
 75         /*                                                                */
 76         /* Program:     DXCCSR_Mapping_Program_v2021-2.SAS                */
 77         /*                                                                */
 78         /* Description: This is the SAS mapping program to apply   */
 79         /*  the CCSR to the user�s ICD-10-CM-coded data.       */
 80         /*  The mapping program includes two options           */
 81         /*  for the file structure of CCSR output.              */
 82         /*                                                                */
 83         /*              There are two general sections to this program:   */
 84         /*                                                                */
 85         /*              1) The first section creates temporary SAS        */
 86         /*                 informats using the DXCCSR CSV file.           */
 87         /*                 These informats are used in step 2 to create   */
 88         /*                 the CCSR variables in the output files.        */
 89         /*                 output files.                                  */
 90         /*              2) The second section loops through the diagnosis */
 91         /*                 array in your SAS dataset and assigns          */
 92         /*                 CCSR categories in the output files.           */
 93         /*                                                                */
 94         /*              Starting with v2021-1 of the CCSR, the SAS program*/
 95         /*              and accompanying CSV file include a separate      */
 96         /*              assignment of the default CCSR for inpatient data */
 97         /*              (principal diagnosis) and outpatient data (first- */
 98         /*              listed diagnosis). This feature requires that the */
 99         /*              user identifies whether the input data is only    */
 100        /*              inpatient (IP), only outpatient (OP), or a        */
 101        /*              mixture of inpatient and outpatient data (IO).    */
 102        /*              The v2021-1 (and later) SAS program cannot be used*/
 103        /*              with the prior versions of the DXCCSR CSV file.   */
 104        /*                                                                */
 105        /*              The v2021-2 CSV file is compatible with ICD-10-CM */
 106        /*              diagnosis codes from October 2015 through         */
 107        /*              September 2021.                                   */
 108        /*                                                                */
 109        /* Output:      The program always outputs a vertical file.       */
 110        /*              + Vertical file's layout: RECID DXCCSR DX_POSITION*/
 111        /*                         DEFAULT_DXCCSR(Y, N, X, or Blank)      */
 112        /*                         DXCCSR_VERSION                         */
 113        /*                                                                */
 114        /*        The user can select to output two additional files*/
 115        /*              + Horizontal file's layout: RECID DXCCSR_BBBNNN   */
 116        /*                         DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1  DXCCSR_VERSION     */
 117        /*              where BBB=3-letter body system abbreviation,   */
 118        /*                     NNN=3-digit number                         */
 119        /*              + Default file's layout: RECID DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 */
 120        /*                         DXCCSR_VERSION                         */
 121        /******************************************************************/
 123        /******************************************************************/
 124        /*  Macro Variables that must be set to define the characteristics*/
 125        /*  of your SAS discharge data. Change these values to match the  */
 126        /*  number of diagnoses in your dataset. Change CORE to match the */
 127        /*  name of your dataset. Set DXPREFIX to be the fixed part of    */
 128        /*  the diagnosis variables. For example, if the diagnosis        */
 129        /*  variables in your SAS dataset are I10_DX1, I10_DX2, ... then  */
 130        /*  set DXPREFIX to I10_DX.                                       */
 131        /******************************************************************/
 132        %Let obs_ = MAX;                                                           *<=== Use smaller number for testing;
 134        * FILE LOCATIONS ;
 135        FILENAMe INRAW1  '/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/DXCCSR_v2021-2.csv'   lRECL=3000;  *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 136        LIBNAME  IN1     '/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018';
 NOTE: Libref IN1 was successfully assigned as follows: 
       Engine:        V9 
       Physical Name: /folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018
 136      !                                                                           *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 137        LIBNAME  OUT1    '/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/NIS';
 NOTE: Libref OUT1 was successfully assigned as follows: 
       Engine:        V9 
       Physical Name: /folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/NIS
 137      !                                                                                 *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 139        * OPTIONAL FILES ;
 140        * Build vertical file? 1=yes, 0=no;           %LET VERT=1;                          *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 141        * Build default DXCCSR file? 1=yes, 0=no;     %LET DFLT=0;                          *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 142        * Build horizontal file? 1=yes, 0=no;         %LET HORZ=0;                          *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 144        * FILE NAMES ;
 145        * Input SAS file member name;                 %LET CORE=NIS_2018_CORE;             *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 146        * Output SAS file name, vertical;             %LET VERTFILE=NIS_CORE_OUTPUT_VERT;  *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 147        * Output SAS file name, horizontal;           %LET HORZFILE=OUTPUT_HORZ_FILE_NAME;  *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 148        * Output SAS file name, default DXCCSR;       %LET DFLTFILE=OUTPUT_DFLT_FILE_NAME;  *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 150        * INPUT DATA CHARACTERISTICS ;
 151        * Database types, IP/OP/IO;                   %LET DBTYPE=IP;                       *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 152        * Data element to identify IP/OP records;     %LET IOVAR=DBTYPE;                    *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 153        * Data value to identify IP records;          %LET IOVALI=IP;                       *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 154        * Data value to identify OP records;          %LET IOVALO=OP;                       *<=== USER MUST;
 155        * Linking key on input SAS data;              %LET RECID=KEY;                       *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 156        * Prefix of diagnosis variables;              %LET DXPREFIX=I10_DX;                 *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 157        * Maximum number of DXs on any record;        %LET NUMDX=40;                        *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 158        * Record specific DX Count variable, if not available leave it blank;
 159                                                      %LET NDXVAR=I10_NDX;                  *<=== USER MUST MODIFY;
 161        TITLE1 'CREATE ICD-10-CM DXCCSR TOOL CATEGORIES';
 162        TITLE2 'USE WITH DISCHARGE ADMINISTRATIVE DATA THAT HAS ICD-10-CM CODES';
 164        /******************* SECTION 1: CREATE INFORMATS ****************************/
 165        /*  SAS Load the CCSR CSV file & convert into temporary SAS informats that  */
 166        /*  will be used to assign the DXCCSR variables in the next step.           */
 167        /****************************************************************************/
 168        %LET CCSRN_ = 6;
 169        DATA DXCCSR;
 170            LENGTH LABEL $1140;
 171            INFILE INRAW1 DSD DLM=',' END = EOF FIRSTOBS=2;
 172            INPUT
 173               START             : $CHAR7.
 174               I10Label          : $CHAR124.
 175               I10CCSRDeftIP     : $10.
 176               I10CCSRLabelDeftIP: $CHAR228.
 177               I10CCSRDeftOP     : $10.
 178               I10CCSRLabelDeftOP: $CHAR228.
 179               I10CCSR1          : $10.
 180               I10CCSRLabel1     : $CHAR228.
 181               I10CCSR2          : $10.
 182               I10CCSRLabel2     : $CHAR228.
 183               I10CCSR3          : $10.
 184               I10CCSRLabel3     : $CHAR228.
 185               I10CCSR4          : $10.
 186               I10CCSRLabel4     : $CHAR228.
 187               I10CCSR5          : $10.
 188               I10CCSRLabel5     : $CHAR228.
 189               I10CCSR6          : $10.
 190               I10CCSRLabel6     : $CHAR228.
 191            ;
 193           RETAIN HLO " " FMTNAME "$DXCCSR" TYPE  "J" ;
 195           LABEL = CATX("#", OF I10CCSR1-I10CCSR6, OF I10CCSRLabel1-I10CCSRLabel6) ;
 196           OUTPUT;
 198           IF EOF THEN DO ;
 199              START = " " ;
 200              LABEL = " " ;
 201              HLO   = "O";
 202              OUTPUT ;
 203           END ;
 204        RUN;

NOTE: The infile INRAW1 is:
       Filename=/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/DXCCSR_v2021-2.csv,
       Owner Name=root,Group Name=vboxsf,
       Access Permission=-rwxrwx---,
       Last Modified=04 March 2021 11:01:46,
       File Size (bytes)=20053092

NOTE: 73211 records were read from the infile INRAW1.
       The minimum record length was 93.
       The maximum record length was 594.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSR has 73212 observations and 22 variables.
       real time           0.51 seconds
       cpu time            0.37 seconds

206        PROC FORMAT LIB=WORK CNTLIN = DXCCSR;
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSR is already on the library WORK.FORMATS.
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSR has been output.
 207        RUN;

NOTE: PROCEDURE FORMAT used (Total process time):
       real time           0.18 seconds
       cpu time            0.19 seconds

NOTE: There were 73212 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSR.

209        DATA DXCCSRL(KEEP=START LABEL FMTNAME TYPE HLO);
 210          SET DXCCSR(KEEP=I10CCSR:) END=EOF;
 212          RETAIN HLO " " FMTNAME "$DXCCSRL" TYPE  "J" ;
 214          ARRAY CCSRC(&CCSRN_) I10CCSR1-I10CCSR&CCSRN_;
 215          ARRAY CCSRL(&CCSRN_) I10CCSRLabel1-I10CCSRLabel&CCSRN_;
 217          LENGTH START $6 LABEL $228;
 218          DO I=1 to &CCSRN_;
 219            IF NOT MISSING(CCSRC(I)) then do;
 220              START=CCSRC(I);
 221              LABEL=CCSRL(I);
 222              output;
 223            end;
 224          end;
 226          IF EOF THEN DO ;
 227             START = " " ;
 228             LABEL = " " ;
 229             HLO   = "O";
 230             OUTPUT;
 231          END;
 232        run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSRL has 83466 observations and 5 variables.
       real time           0.07 seconds
       cpu time            0.07 seconds

234        PROC SORT DATA=DXCCSRL NODUPKEY;
 235          BY START;
 236        RUN;

NOTE: There were 83466 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSRL.
 NOTE: 82925 observations with duplicate key values were deleted.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSRL has 541 observations and 5 variables.
       real time           0.03 seconds
       cpu time            0.04 seconds

238        PROC FORMAT LIB=WORK CNTLIN = DXCCSRL;
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSRL is already on the library WORK.FORMATS.
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSRL has been output.
 239        RUN;

real time           0.00 seconds
       cpu time            0.00 seconds

NOTE: There were 541 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSRL.

241        DATA DXCCSRDEFT(KEEP=START LABEL FMTNAME TYPE HLO);
 242          SET DXCCSR(KEEP=START I10CCSRDeftIP rename=(I10CCSRDeftIP=LABEL)) END=EOF;
 244          RETAIN HLO " " FMTNAME "$DXCCSRDIP" TYPE  "J" ;
 245          output;
 246          IF EOF THEN DO ;
 247             START = " " ;
 248             LABEL = " " ;
 249             HLO   = "O";
 250             OUTPUT;
 251          END;
 252        run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT has 73213 observations and 5 variables.
       cpu time            0.03 seconds

254        PROC SORT DATA=DXCCSRDEFT NODUPKEY; BY START; RUN;

NOTE: There were 73213 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT.
 NOTE: 1 observations with duplicate key values were deleted.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT has 73212 observations and 5 variables.
       real time           0.02 seconds
       cpu time            0.02 seconds

256        PROC FORMAT LIB=WORK CNTLIN = DXCCSRDEFT;
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSRDIP is already on the library WORK.FORMATS.
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSRDIP has been output.
 257        RUN;

real time           0.10 seconds
       cpu time            0.11 seconds

NOTE: There were 73212 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT.

259        DATA DXCCSRDEFT(KEEP=START LABEL FMTNAME TYPE HLO);
 260          SET DXCCSR(KEEP=START I10CCSRDeftOP rename=(I10CCSRDeftOP=LABEL)) END=EOF;
 262          RETAIN HLO " " FMTNAME "$DXCCSRDOP" TYPE  "J" ;
 263          output;
 264          IF EOF THEN DO ;
 265             START = " " ;
 266             LABEL = " " ;
 267             HLO   = "O";
 268             OUTPUT;
 269          END;
 270        run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT has 73213 observations and 5 variables.

272        PROC SORT DATA=DXCCSRDEFT NODUPKEY; BY START; RUN;

NOTE: There were 73213 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT.
 NOTE: 1 observations with duplicate key values were deleted.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT has 73212 observations and 5 variables.

274        PROC FORMAT LIB=WORK CNTLIN = DXCCSRDEFT;
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSRDOP is already on the library WORK.FORMATS.
 NOTE: Informat $DXCCSRDOP has been output.
 275        RUN;

real time           0.09 seconds
       cpu time            0.09 seconds

NOTE: There were 73212 observations read from the data set WORK.DXCCSRDEFT.

277        /*********** SECTION 2: CREATE ICD-10-CM CCSR OUTPUT FILES ***********************/
 278        /*  Create CCSR categories for ICD-10-CM using the SAS informats created         */
 279        /*  in Section 1 and the diagnosis codes in your SAS dataset.                    */
 280        /*  At most three separate output files are created plus a few intermediate files*/
 281        /*  for the construction of the horizontal and default DXCCSR for DX1 file       */
 282        /*********************************************************************************/
 284        %Macro dxccsr_vt(dbt=IP);
 285           DATA &dbt._out_vt (KEEP=&RECID DXCCSR DX_POSITION DEFAULT_DXCCSR DXCCSR_VERSION)
 286                dxccsr_flags  (keep=&RECID flag_anydx flag_xxx flag_dx1)
 287             ;
 288         retain &RECID;
 289             LENGTH ICD10_Code $7 DXCCSR $6 DX_POSITION 3 DEFAULT_DXCCSR $1 DXCCSR_VERSION $6 flag_xxx $6;
 290             LABEL DEFAULT_DXCCSR = "Indication of default CCSR for principal/first-listed ICD-10-CM diagnosis"
 291               DXCCSR = "CCSR category for ICD-10-CM diagnosis"
 292           DX_POSITION = "Position of code in input diagnosis array"
 293           DXCCSR_VERSION = "Version of CCSR for ICD-10-CM diagnoses"
 294           ;
 296             SET &dbt._in;
 297         by &RECID;
 298             retain DXCCSR_VERSION "2021.2";
 299             array A_DX(&NUMDX)       &DXPREFIX.1-&DXPREFIX.&NUMDX;
 301             %if &NDXVAR ne %then %let MAXNDX = &NDXVAR;
 302             %else %let MAXNDX=&NUMDX;
 304             flag_anydx =0; &dbt.flag_xxx=''; flag_dx1=0;
 305         if not missing(&DXPREFIX.1) then flag_dx1=1;
 307             DO I=1 TO min(&MAXNDX, dim(A_dx));
 308               ICD10_CODE=A_DX(I);
 309               DX_POSITION=I;
 310               Default_DCCSR_Val =input(ICD10_CODE, $DXCCSRD&dbt..);
 312               if ICD10_CODE ^= '' then flag_anydx=1;
 314               CCSRString=INPUT(A_DX(I), $DXCCSR.);
 315               if not missing(ICD10_CODE) and missing(CCSRString) then do;
 316              ***invalid diagnosis found;
 317          DXCCSR='InvlDX';
 318          if I= 1 then DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'X';
 319          else DEFAULT_DXCCSR = '';
 320          output &dbt._out_vt;
 321           end;
 322               else if not missing(CCSRString) then do;
 323                  ccsrn=(COUNTC(CCSRString,'#')+1)/2;
 324              if ccsrn=1 then do;
 325                     next_delim = findc(CCSRString,"#");
 326                 DXCCSR=substr(CCSRString,1, next_delim-1);
 328                     if I=1 then do;
 329                if Default_DCCSR_Val = DXCCSR then DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'Y';
 330            else if Default_DCCSR_Val =: 'XXX' then do;
 331                      DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'X';
 332          flag_xxx=Default_DCCSR_Val;
 333        end;
 334            else DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'N';
 335         end;
 336         else DEFAULT_DXCCSR = '';
 338                 output &dbt._out_vt;
 339              end;
 340              else do;
 341               do j=1 to ccsrn;
 342                     next_delim = findc(CCSRString,"#");
 343                     DXCCSR=substr(CCSRString,1, next_delim-1);
 344                     CCSRString=substr(CCSRString,next_delim+1);
 346                     if I=1 then do;
 347            if Default_DCCSR_Val = DXCCSR then DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'Y';
 348            else if Default_DCCSR_Val =: 'XXX' then do;
 349          DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'X';
 350            flag_xxx=Default_DCCSR_Val;
 351        end;
 352            else DEFAULT_DXCCSR = 'N';
 353         end;
 354         else DEFAULT_DXCCSR = '';
 356                 output &dbt._out_vt;
 357               end;
 358               do j=1 to ccsrn-1;
 359                     next_delim = findc(CCSRString,"#");
 360                 CCSRString=substr(CCSRString,next_delim+1);
 361               end; /*do j*/
 362              end; /*else do*/
 363               end; /*not missing CCSString*/
 364             end; /*loop i*/
 366         output dxccsr_flags;
 367        run;
 369        /*If DX1 is missing add it to the vertical file*/
 370        data &dbt._out_vt;
 371          merge &dbt._out_vt(in=inv)
 372                dxccsr_flags(in=inf keep=&RECID flag_dx1)
 373        ;
 374          by &RECID;
 375          if inf and not inv then do;
 376            DXCCSR='NoDX1';
 377            DX_POSITION=1;
 378            DEFAULT_DXCCSR='X';
 379        DXCCSR_VERSION="2021.2";
 380        output;
 381          end;
 382          else if flag_dx1=0 then do;
 383            output;
 384            ***there may be multiple diagnosis on vertical file, output NoDX1 only once;
 385        if first.&RECID then do;
 386              DXCCSR='NoDX1';
 387              DX_POSITION=1;
 388              DEFAULT_DXCCSR='X';
 389          output;
 390        end;
 391          end;
 392          else output;
 393          drop flag_dx1;
 394        run;
 396        proc sort data=&dbt._out_vt; by &RECID DX_POSITION; run;
 398        Title1 "Vertical file";
 399        proc contents data=&dbt._out_vt varnum;
 400        run;
 401        Title2 "Sample print of vertical file";
 402        proc print data=&dbt._out_vt (obs=10);
 403        run;
 404        %mend;
 406        * =========================================================================== *
 407        * Count maximum number of DXCCSR values for each body system.
 408        * Please do not change this code. It is necessary to the program function.
 409        * =========================================================================== *;
 410        %macro count_ccsr;
 411          DATA Body_sys;
 412            length body bnum $3 ;
 413            INFILE INRAW1 DSD DLM=',' END = EOF FIRSTOBS=2;
 414            INPUT
 415               START             : $CHAR7.
 416               I10Label          : $CHAR124.
 417               I10CCSRDeftIP     : $10.
 418               I10CCSRLabelDeftIP: $CHAR228.
 419               I10CCSRDeftOP     : $10.
 420               I10CCSRLabelDeftOP: $CHAR228.
 421               I10CCSR1          : $10.
 422               I10CCSRLabel1     : $CHAR228.
 423               I10CCSR2          : $10.
 424               I10CCSRLabel2     : $CHAR228.
 425               I10CCSR3          : $10.
 426               I10CCSRLabel3     : $CHAR228.
 427               I10CCSR4          : $10.
 428               I10CCSRLabel4     : $CHAR228.
 429               I10CCSR5          : $10.
 430               I10CCSRLabel5     : $CHAR228.
 431               I10CCSR6          : $10.
 432               I10CCSRLabel6     : $CHAR228.
 433            ;
 435            array ccsrs I10CCSR1-I10CCSR6;
 436            do over ccsrs;
 437              body=substr(ccsrs, 1, 3);
 438              bnum=substr(ccsrs, 4, 3);
 439              if body not in ('', 'XXX')  then output;
 440            end;
 441            keep body bnum;
 442           run;
 443           proc sort data=Body_sys; by body bnum ; run;
 444           data body_max;
 445             set body_sys;
 446             by body bnum;
 447             if last.body;
 448           run;
 449           %global mnbody;
 450           %global body_;
 451           proc sql noprint;
 452             select distinct body into :body_ separated by ' '
 453             from body_max
 454             ;
 455           quit;
 456           data null;
 457             set body_max end=eof;
 458             if eof then call symput("mnbody", put(_N_, 2.));
 459           run;
 461           %do i=1 %to &mnbody;
 462             %let b=%scan(&body_, &i);
 463             %global max&b. ;
 464           %end;
 466           data null;
 467             set body_max end=eof;
 468             mbody="max" || body;
 469             call symput(mbody, bnum);
 470             if eof then call symput("mnbody", put(_N_, 2.));
 471           run;
 473           %put verify macro definition:;
 474           %put mnbody=&mnbody;
 475           %do i=1 %to &mnbody;
 476             %let b=%scan(&body_, &i);
 477             %put max&b._ = &&&max&b;
 478           %end;
 479        %mend;
 481        %macro dxccsr_hz(dbt=IP);
 482        * =========================================================================== *
 483        * Create horizontal file layout using vertical file                           *
 484        * =========================================================================== *;
 485        Data DXCCSR_First(keep=&RECID DXCCSR) DXCCSR_second(keep=&RECID DXCCSR);
 486          set &dbt._out_vt;
 487          by &RECID;
 488          if DXCCSR not in ('InvlDX', 'NoDX1');
 489          if DX_Position = 1 then output DXCCSR_First;
 490          else output DXCCSR_Second;
 491        run;
 493        proc sort data=DXCCSR_second nodupkey;
 494          by &RECID DXCCSR;
 495        run;
 496        proc sort data=DXCCSR_First;
 497          by &RECID DXCCSR;
 498        run;
 500        data DXCCSR;
 501          length DX_Position 3;
 502          merge DXCCSR_First(in=inp) DXCCSR_Second(in=ins);
 503          by &RECID DXCCSR;
 504          if inp and not ins then DX_Position = 1;
 505          else if ins and not inp then DX_Position = 3;
 506          else DX_Position = 2;
 507        run;
 509        proc transpose data=DXCCSR out=DXCCSR_Transposed(drop=_NAME_) prefix=DXCCSR_;
 510          by &RECID;
 511          ID DXCCSR;
 512          Var DX_Position;
 513        run;
 515        **** Ensure the horizontal output file has the same number of records as input file;
 516        data &dbt._out_hz ;
 517          retain &RECID;
 518          LENGTH DXCCSR_Default_DX1 $6;
 519          LENGTH
 520            %do i=1 %to &mnbody;
 521              %let b=%scan(&body_, &i);
 522              DXCCSR_&b.001-DXCCSR_&b.&&max&b.
 523            %end;
 524            3 ;
 525          Label
 526            %do i=1 %to &mnbody;
 527              %let b=%scan(&body_, &i);
 528          %do j=1 %to &&max&b.;
 529             %if &j < 10 %then DXCCSR_&b.00&j = "Indication that at least one ICD-10-CM diagnosis on the record is included in
 529      ! CCSR &b.00&j" ;
 530             %else %if &j < 100 %then DXCCSR_&b.0&j = "Indication that at least one ICD-10-CM diagnosis on the record is
 530      ! included in CCSR &b.0&j" ;
 531             %else DXCCSR_&b.&j = "Indication that at least one ICD-10-CM diagnosis on the record is included in CCSR &b.&j" ;
 532          %end;
 533            %end;
 534            ;
 535          merge &dbt._dflt_file(in=ind) DXCCSR_Transposed ;
 536          by &RECID;
 537          if not ind then abort;   ***Should never happen but safe guard, default file contains all records from input file;
 539          ***If no diagnoses are found on the record, set all DXCCSR_* values to 0;
 540          array a _numeric_;
 541          do over a;
 542            if a = . then a=0;
 543          end;
 544          drop DXCCSR_MBD015 DXCCSR_MBD016;
 545        run;
 547        Title1 "Horizontal file";
 548        proc contents data=&dbt._out_hz varnum;
 549        run;
 550        Title2 "Sample print of horizontal file";
 551        proc print data=&dbt._out_hz(obs=10);
 552        run;
 553        %mend;
 555        %macro dxccsr_dflt(dbt=IP);
 556        * ================================================================================= *
 557        * Create the default CCSR file with RECID & Default DXCCSR value using vertical file*
 558        * ================================================================================= *;
 559        data &dbt._dflt_file(keep=&RECID DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1);
 560          length DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 $6;
 561          set &dbt._out_vt(keep=&RECID DX_POSITION DXCCSR DEFAULT_DXCCSR);
 562          by &RECID;
 564          if DX_POSITION = 1 and DEFAULT_DXCCSR in ('Y');
 565          DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 = DXCCSR;
 566        run;
 568        **** Ensure the default DXCCSR output file has the same number of records as input file;
 569        Data &dbt._dflt_file;
 570          retain &RECID;
 571          length DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 DXCCSR_VERSION $6;
 572          label DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 = "Default CCSR for principal/first-listed ICD-10-CM diagnosis"
 573                DXCCSR_VERSION = "Version of CCSR for ICD-10-CM diagnoses"
 574                ;
 575          merge dxccsr_flags(in=ini)
 576        &dbt._dflt_file(in=ino) ;
 577          by &RECID;
 578          retain DXCCSR_VERSION "2021.2";
 580          if not ini then abort;
 581          if not ino then do;
 582        if not flag_dx1 then DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 = 'NoDX1';
 583            else if flag_xxx ^='' then DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 = flag_xxx;
 584        else if flag_anydx then DXCCSR_DEFAULT_DX1 = 'InvlDX';
 585          end;
 586          drop flag_anydx flag_xxx flag_dx1;
 587        run;
 589        %mend;
 591        %macro main;
 592           %count_ccsr;
 593           proc sort data=IN1.&CORE(obs=&obs_ keep=&RECID &NDXVAR &DXPREFIX.1-&DXPREFIX.&NUMDX %if &dbtype ne and &IOVAR ne %then
 593      !  &IOVAR;) out=&CORE.Skinny; by &RECID;  run;
 594           %if &DBTYPE = IO %then %do;
 595             %if &IOVAR NE %then %do;
 596           data IP_in OP_in NIO;
 597             set &CORE.Skinny;
 598         by &RECID;
 599         if &IOVAR = "&IOValI" then output IP_in;
 600         else if &IOVAR = "&IOValO" then output OP_in;
 601         else output NIO;
 602           run;
 604               %dxccsr_vt(dbt=IP);
 605               %dxccsr_dflt(dbt=IP);
 606               %dxccsr_vt(dbt=OP);
 607               %dxccsr_dflt(dbt=OP);
 608           %if &vert = 1 %then %do;
 609           data OUT1.&VERTFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 610             set IP_out_vt OP_out_vt;
 611             by &RECID;
 612           run;
 613           %end;
 614               %if &dflt = 1 %then %do;
 615                 data OUT1.&DFLTFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 616               set IP_dflt_file OP_dflt_file NIO(keep=&RECID);
 617           by &RECID;
 618             run;
 620                 Title1 "Default DXCCSR file";
 621                 proc contents data=OUT1.&DFLTFILE;
 622                 run;
 623                 Title2 "Sample print of default DXCCSR file";
 624                 proc print data=OUT1.&DFLTFILE(obs=10);
 625                 run;
 626               %end;
 627               %if &horz = 1 %then %do;
 628                 %dxccsr_hz(dbt=IP);
 629                 %dxccsr_hz(dbt=OP);
 630         data out1.&HORZFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 631             set IP_out_hz OP_out_hz NIO(keep=&RECID);
 632         by &RECID;
 633           run;
 635               %end;
 636             %end;
 637             %else ERROR 'IOVAR is not specified';
 638           %end;
 639           %else %if &DBTYPE = IP %then %do;
 640             data IP_in;
 641             set &CORE.Skinny;
 642         by &RECID;
 643             run;
 645             %dxccsr_vt(dbt=IP);
 646             %if &vert = 1 %then %do;
 647         data OUT1.&VERTFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 648           set IP_out_vt;
 649           by &RECID;
 650         run;
 651         %end;
 652             %dxccsr_dflt(dbt=IP);
 653             %if &dflt = 1 %then %do;
 654               data OUT1.&DFLTFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 655             set IP_dflt_file;
 656         by &RECID;
 657           run;
 659               Title1 "Default DXCCSR file";
 660               proc contents data=OUT1.&DFLTFILE;
 661               run;
 662               Title2 "Sample print of default DXCCSR file";
 663               proc print data=OUT1.&DFLTFILE(obs=10);
 664               run;
 665             %end;
 666             %if &horz = 1 %then %do;
 667               %dxccsr_hz(dbt=IP);
 668              data out1.&HORZFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 669             set IP_out_hz;
 670         by &RECID;
 671           run;
 672             %end;
 673           %end;
 674           %else %if &DBTYPE = OP %then %do;
 675             data OP_in;
 676             set &CORE.Skinny;
 677         by &RECID;
 678             run;
 680             %dxccsr_vt(dbt=OP);
 681             %if &vert = 1 %then %do;
 682         data OUT1.&VERTFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 683           set OP_out_vt;
 684           by &RECID;
 685         run;
 686         %end;
 687             %dxccsr_dflt(dbt=OP);
 688             %if &dflt = 1 %then %do;
 689               data OUT1.&DFLTFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 690             set OP_dflt_file;
 691         by &RECID;
 692           run;
 694               Title1 "Default DXCCSR file";
 695               proc contents data=OUT1.&DFLTFILE;
 696               run;
 697               Title2 "Sample print of default DXCCSR file";
 698               proc print data=OUT1.&DFLTFILE(obs=10);
 699               run;
 700             %end;
 701             %if &horz = 1 %then %do;
 702               %dxccsr_hz(dbt=OP);
 703              data out1.&HORZFILE(SortedBy=&RECID);
 704             set OP_out_hz;
 705         by &RECID;
 706           run;
 707             %end;
 708           %end;
 710        %mend;
 711        %main;

NOTE: The infile INRAW1 is:
       Filename=/folders/myfolders/HCUP/NIS2018/DXCCSR_v2021-2.csv,
       Owner Name=root,Group Name=vboxsf,
       Access Permission=-rwxrwx---,
       Last Modified=04 March 2021 11:01:46,
       File Size (bytes)=20053092

NOTE: 73211 records were read from the infile INRAW1.
       The minimum record length was 93.
       The maximum record length was 594.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.BODY_SYS has 83464 observations and 2 variables.
       real time           0.16 seconds
       cpu time            0.15 seconds

NOTE: There were 83464 observations read from the data set WORK.BODY_SYS.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.BODY_SYS has 83464 observations and 2 variables.

NOTE: There were 83464 observations read from the data set WORK.BODY_SYS.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.BODY_MAX has 21 observations and 2 variables.
       cpu time            0.01 seconds

NOTE: PROCEDURE SQL used (Total process time):

NOTE: There were 21 observations read from the data set WORK.BODY_MAX.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.NULL has 21 observations and 2 variables.

NOTE: There were 21 observations read from the data set WORK.BODY_MAX.
 NOTE: The data set WORK.NULL has 21 observations and 3 variables.

verify macro definition:
 mnbody=21
 maxBLD_ = 010
 maxCIR_ = 039
 maxDIG_ = 025
 maxEAR_ = 006
 maxEND_ = 017
 maxEXT_ = 030
 maxEYE_ = 012
 maxFAC_ = 025
 maxGEN_ = 026
 maxINF_ = 012
 maxINJ_ = 076
 maxMAL_ = 010
 maxMBD_ = 034
 maxMUS_ = 038
 maxNEO_ = 074
 maxNVS_ = 022
 maxPNL_ = 015
 maxPRG_ = 030
 maxRSP_ = 017
 maxSKN_ = 007
 maxSYM_ = 017

WARNING: The data set WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0 
          variables.
 WARNING: Data set WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY was not replaced because this step was stopped.
       real time           0.01 seconds

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.NIS_2018_CORESKINNY.
 WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_IN may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0 variables.
 WARNING: Data set WORK.IP_IN was not replaced because this step was stopped.

NOTE: Numeric values have been converted to character values at the places given by: (Line):(Column).
       711:160   711:74    
 NOTE: Variable I10_NDX is uninitialized.
 ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.IP_IN.
 WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 4 variables.
 WARNING: Data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT was not replaced because this step was stopped.
 WARNING: The data set WORK.DXCCSR_FLAGS may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 3 variables.
 WARNING: Data set WORK.DXCCSR_FLAGS was not replaced because this step was stopped.

WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 4 variables.

NOTE: PROCEDURE CONTENTS used (Total process time):
       real time           0.05 seconds
       cpu time            0.04 seconds

NOTE: No observations in data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT.
 NOTE: PROCEDURE PRINT used (Total process time):

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.IP_OUT_VT.
 WARNING: The data set OUT1.NIS_CORE_OUTPUT_VERT may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 0 
          variables.
 WARNING: Data set OUT1.NIS_CORE_OUTPUT_VERT was not replaced because this step was stopped.
       real time           0.01 seconds

WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_DFLT_FILE may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 1 variables.
 WARNING: Data set WORK.IP_DFLT_FILE was not replaced because this step was stopped.

ERROR: BY variable KEY is not on input data set WORK.DXCCSR_FLAGS.
 WARNING: The data set WORK.IP_DFLT_FILE may be incomplete.  When this step was stopped there were 0 observations and 2 variables.
 WARNING: Data set WORK.IP_DFLT_FILE was not replaced because this step was stopped.
       cpu time            0.01 seconds

715        OPTIONS NONOTES NOSTIMER NOSOURCE NOSYNTAXCHECK;

This is the error message I get

japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Check if the variables KEY and DBTYPE are present in the dataset named IN1.NIS_2018_CORE.

ededeStats
Calcite | Level 5

The 'IN1.NIS_2018_Core' dataset has 'KEY_NIS' as the identifier not 'KEY.' However, the load program for DXCCSR ICD-10 has KEY, which is very odd. DBTYPE is not present.

japelin
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

For IN1.&CORE in this proc Step, the variables KEY (macro variable: &RECID) and DBTYPE (macro variable: IOVAR) are specified in the keep=dataset option, so it is not processed correctly.

proc sort data=IN1.&CORE(obs=&obs_ keep=&RECID &NDXVAR &DXPREFIX.1-&DXPREFIX.&NUMDX %if &dbtype ne and &IOVAR ne %then  &IOVAR;) out=&CORE.Skinny; by &RECID;  run;

I don't know if the problem is with the original data, the program, or the macro variable specification.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation