BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
wherearethelogs
Fluorite | Level 6

When you run a sas program in STUDIO then in the log you have a summary of ERRORS/WARNINGS/NOTES that you can use to navigate the log, as shown in the highlighted red box in the screenshot.

wherearethelogs_0-1672845634304.png

If you run that same sas program as a background submit it creates a log, however, when you open that log the ERRORS/WARNINGS/NOTES  summary does not exist. Is there a way to access this functinality for saved logs? I know this was possible in EG.

wherearethelogs_1-1672845747316.png

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
SASKiwi
PROC Star

I don't think such functionality exists in SAS Studio. A Studio background submit pushes the program(s) to be run in batch mode on a SAS Workspace server. To produce a log summary, Studio would have to parse the batch log as a text file once complete instead of collecting run details internally.

BTW EG doesn't do background submits, but EG projects can be scheduled and if the project logging is enabled then scheduled runs should be recorded - I guess this is what you mean when you say EG does project run summaries. 

wherearethelogs
Fluorite | Level 6

That is unfortunate if that is the case. As for background submits, I could have been more clear, that was just a use case for Studio and why you would have a saved log you want to view at a later time. I am only concerned with viewing a saved off log, not how it gets created. What I meant by it being avialable in EG is that if you open up a saved log file it will parse the file and provide you with the summary you can then use to jump around in the log. The below screenshot is from a saved log that was then drag and dropped into an EGP and you can see that it provides you with the summary,

wherearethelogs_0-1672928027878.png

Quentin
Super User

Given that it's there in EG (thanks for showing that!), if Studio isn't doing it you might put in a ballot item request for the feature to be added to studio:

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas

If you do that, drop a link to it here, so we can up-vote. : )

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

SAS Enterprise Guide vs. SAS Studio

What’s the difference between SAS Enterprise Guide and SAS Studio? How are they similar? Just ask SAS’ Danny Modlin.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 3 in conversation