BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I have SAS Studio session time out set to 3 hours (maximum you can set to). 

Nietzsche_0-1678987082402.png

First of all, is this 3 hours of non activity or 3 hours from login in? 

Regardless, SAS studio constantly signs me out at random internals that is well within the 3 hours, anywhere from few minutes to 20 minutes or so of non activity.

Sometimes when I am away for 10 minutes while on another tab in the same browser, sometimes in the middle of coding as captured here.

And SAS Institute why young people are not learning SAS and is losing market to python and R, when there is no free/cheap local SAS versions for students to use and online SAS Studio is have issues like this and others (constant disconnecting which SAS institute seemed to have fixed) makes learning very frustrating.

SAS Base Programming (2022 Dec), Preparing for SAS Advanced Programming (Cancelled).
18 REPLIES 18
tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ
Sorry you are having connection issues. I would suggest trying a different browser to connect to SAS OnDemand for Academics to see if you still have issues.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If your network connection is dropping out within the SAS Studio limit, then it is time to examine your complete internet network connection. For example if you are working over a weak Wifi internet connection it could give you the symptoms you are describing. It could be timing out if you leave your computer inactive for a period or simply just dropping out if weak. If you are using Wifi, switch to an internet cable connection as an experiment to see if it is more reliable. If this isn't an option, move your computer to beside your Wifi router to see if that improves reliability.

Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I think this is a separate issue to the connection issue as I have already posted here already, as SAS studio would give me a pop up box telling me there is a connection error.

This is SAS Studio signing out randomly as shown in the video while I am in the middle of coding as shown in the video. 

edit: I am going to main firefox for SAS OnDemand Studio to see if the issue still exist.

SAS Base Programming (2022 Dec), Preparing for SAS Advanced Programming (Cancelled).
tom_grant
SAS Super FREQ
Great, hopefully it is a browser issue.
Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

same thing happened on firefox.

Just lost all my code up to that point, about 1.5 hours of work.

Not long does SAS studio not respect the 3 hours time out, it does not even save or respect the "Continue where you left off" setting.

When I launched back into SAS studio, just a blank program.

Make sure you save constantly if you're working on a long code coz SAS OnDemand is not stable.

Nietzsche
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

oh just realised that I did not have auto save turned on.

Now it should save my work every 60 seconds so even if SAS studio signs out unexpectedly, it won't be as damaging.

ACCT101
Calcite | Level 5

I am experiencing the same issue. I have tried different browsers. Wifi vs wired connection. I can't figure out the issue and would love to know what the answer was.

My issue happens within 5 minutes every time, so I don't have the ability to run code that I have written.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Open a cmd (Windows) or terminal (Linux, Mac) window and run a continuous ping there to a website of your choice. This can help you detect service interruptions or degredations of your internet connection.

In my case, being in Austria, I used orf.at for this. You may consider something like cnn.com, if they answer to pings.

joshuasmith
Fluorite | Level 6

I have been having this same experience. I have dealt with this for a while, but it hasn't happened for a few months. It has now crashed probably 20 times in the last two hours. I regularly manually save and have autosave enabled, but the problem is that this is resulting in me barely getting any work done due to the interruptions. I know it is not the internet connection (VPN to work server is fine), the browser (I have tried chrome and firefox, newest versions of each), session time limit (set to 3 hours; I have not been idle at all and have signed back in multiple times), or my computer (restarted, CPU speed and memory capacity is fine).  

My suspicion is it is related to the volume of data being held in memory in SAS Studio, as it does not happen when i am doing low-lift kinds of work (basic data handling, making figures, etc), but seems to pop up when I am processing and manipulating large datasets. I have tried limiting the number of datasets I have open at once, but it's somewhat impossible when to avoid when you are merging 500MB - 1GB files, running macros on large datasets, etc. 

Honestly, it's pretty absurd that this bug exists and no one has fixed it. I am sure we are not the only ones who have experienced it. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Talk with your SAS admins, they can inspect the server-side logs. From your description, I suspect that either your workspace server crashes (or is crashed by some kind of workload management), or a report overwhelms the browser memory-wise.

joshuasmith
Fluorite | Level 6

I use SAS OnDemand for Academics, so I do not have SAS admins at my work. Who would I contact at SAS for the SODA admin/how would you suggest I resolve this issue since it is with SODA?

As for the cause, I am guessing the former of your two suggestions, as I have "noprint" or "ods exclude all" in my code to suppress report output and only output my data tables. In cases where I do have large report outputs (or I forgot to suppress large report outputs), I do have the 3 MB memory warning option turned on anyway, so that I can decline the reports and not crash the browser. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Your file space allowance on ODA is 5 GB. Depending on how you do a merge, datasets in the range you describe can easily crack that (particularly when using SQL). It will help if you show us code that causes your sign-outs.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can also exceed CPU usage limits.

Last time I did that I was able to find a message about what happened.   I noticed that a new folder had appeared in my home directory that had a file named termination in it.

Wed Dec 13 20:45:56 UTC 2023  Session terminated due to excessive resource usage
Wed Dec 13 20:50:37 UTC 2023  Session terminated due to excessive resource usage
SASKiwi
PROC Star

Since you've added to a post relating to SAS On-Demand for Academics, are you in fact using SODA via SAS Studio or your own company's SAS server? If you are using SODA, then your network path is going to be way different to your work server so cannot be discounted as a potential cause. Also SODA has data limitations which restrict how much data you can store.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 8 likes
  • 9 in conversation