BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
carol_kvarg
Calcite | Level 5

hi,

I'm looking for a method to perform k-means clustering with the use of SAS enterprise miner. however, it seems to me that I can perform only hierarchical clustering, according to this post I can perform only hierarchical analogue for k-means clustering. 

I would be grateful for advice and resources on how to perform the k-means clustering in SAS enterprise miner.

1 REPLY 1
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Hello,

The Cluster node in Enterprise Miner (latest version is 15.2) IS DOING k-means clustering!!

Hierarchical clustering is just an intermediate step to determine the best number of clusters.

This is how the CLUSTER node (in the Explore Group) works ... when you do not change the defaults :

1. k-means is done with k=50 (preliminary maximum)
  2. Then the 50 multivariate mean vectors are clustered with WARD (agglomerative) hierarchical clustering method
  3. Then the best number of clusters is determined (minimum=2 , final maximum=20). Let's say best = 8 !
  4. Then a k-means is done again on the full dataset with k=8.

You can also use the "HP Cluster" node in the HPDM group of nodes (HPDM = High-Performance Data Mining).

The "HP Cluster" node is running PROC HPCLUS in the background. The HPCLUS procedure is a high-performance procedure that performs k-means clustering.
And that "HP Cluster" node (PROC HPCLUS) is finding the number of clusters (the k) using the aligned box criterion (ABC) method (and NOT via that foray into hierarchical clustering).

In VIYA PROC HPCLUS evolved into PROC KCLUS.

Good luck,

Koen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation