BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

I want to use the SAS symbols identified as 'starfilled' and 'star' -- in addition to some other special symbols -- in a sgplot graph by using a series of symbolchar statements. 

I've tried '2606'x and '2605'x, but these are not the same as starfilled and star. The dingbats heavy star is closer but again not the same.

The user manual only gives the names which can be used in a styleattrs statement but not in the symbolchar statement. 

This would be so easy of I only new which unicode these specific SAS symbols use. Or maybe these are SAS specific without a unicode?

Thank you for any insights.

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ksharp
Super User

You could use SYMBOLIMAGE statement to mimic the fat star or other star you like ,

if you are using UNICODE encoding.

Check @tc  's example :

Fun With SAS ODS Graphics: NFL Starting Quarterback Vintages - SAS Support Communities

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
sbxkoenk
SAS Super FREQ

Can you insert picture of "starfilled" and "star"?

Have you looked at unicode-table.com website?
Like here: https://symbl.cc/en/unicode/blocks/geometric-shapes-extended/

Koen

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

I like the star and starfilled symbol shapes in this figure, which was made using the SAS names in a styleattr statement.

das_2-1702420221899.png

But I want to update some of the open circles to a special symbol (see below), for which I think I must use symbolchar and unicodes.

das_1-1702420193224.png

I particularly don't like the thinness of the open star symbol, and changing it to a bold weight looks worse. I can live with the second graph, but I'd prefer the other star shapes above.

Thank you!

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7
Yes, I think I've looked through all the unicodes listed at this website and not found the ones used by SAS.
Ksharp
Super User

You could use SYMBOLIMAGE statement to mimic the fat star or other star you like ,

if you are using UNICODE encoding.

Check @tc  's example :

Fun With SAS ODS Graphics: NFL Starting Quarterback Vintages - SAS Support Communities

das
Obsidian | Level 7 das
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you. I did not try this option but had to move on to a decision.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation