BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Had a few surprises using the b8601dj informat to read date-time values YYYYMMDDHHMMSS.

If the time portion is 250000 it returns a null value, and does NOT throw an error.  This is different than the datetime informat, which would treat it as 0100 on the next day:

1    data _null_ ;
2      datetime=input('01JAN1960:25:00:00',datetime18.) ;
3      b8601dj =input('19600101250000'    ,b8601dj14.) ;
5      put datetime= b8601dj= ;
6      format  datetime b8601dj datetime19. ;
7    run ;

datetime=02JAN1960:01:00:00 b8601dj=.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.00 seconds
      cpu time            0.00 seconds

I'm okay with 250000 being treated as invalid, but I would expect an error in the log.

Also surprising, even letters in the value will not cause an error message, as long as the first ten characters are numeric:

8    data _null_ ;
9      b8601dj=input('1960010199QQQQ',b8601dj14.) ;
10     put b8601dj= ;
11   run ;

b8601dj=.

If I add one more letter, it will finally throw an error:

12   data _null_ ;
13     b8601dj=input('196001019QQQQQ',b8601dj14.) ;
14     put b8601dj= ;
15   run ;

ERROR: Invalid argument to function INPUT at line 13 column 11.
b8601dj=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: The SAS System stopped processing this step because of errors.

Is this surprising behavior?  Seems like it's worth documenting.

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Quentin,

I can replicate both your examples and Patrick's (which is different) with the same 9.4M5 release as his. To get your "ERROR: Invalid argument ..." message (and the subsequent error-like behavior) I need to use the (undocumented) dsoptions=note2err system option, though.

Whenever the result was a missing value which was not accompanied by an "Invalid argument" message the result did not change when I set

options invaliddata='X';

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

It does write a Note an it sets the automatic variable _ERROR_ to 1 in my SAS version (SYSVLONG 9.04.01M5P091317) so you could add a check on  _ERROR_ or the resulting variable being missing.

28         data _null_ ;
29           b8601dj=input('196001019QQQQ',b8601dj14.) ;
30           put b8601dj= ;
31         run ;

NOTE: Invalid argument to function INPUT at line 29 column 11.
b8601dj=.
b8601dj=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=1
NOTE: Mathematical operations could not be performed at the following places. The results of the operations have been set to 
      missing values.
      Each place is given by: (Number of times) at (Line):(Column).
      1 at 29:11  
Quentin
Super User

Thanks @Patrick. I’m on 9.4M4, maybe it’s fixed in M5.

What do you get from:

b8601dj =input('19600101250000' ,b8601dj14.) ;

Does it return null or does it return 2 Jan 1:00am? If it returns null, does it throw the invalid note?

What do you get from:

b8601dj=input('1960010199QQQQ',b8601dj14.) ;

I assume it returns null.  Does it throw the invalid note?

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @Quentin,

I can replicate both your examples and Patrick's (which is different) with the same 9.4M5 release as his. To get your "ERROR: Invalid argument ..." message (and the subsequent error-like behavior) I need to use the (undocumented) dsoptions=note2err system option, though.

Whenever the result was a missing value which was not accompanied by an "Invalid argument" message the result did not change when I set

options invaliddata='X';
Quentin
Super User
Thanks @FreelanceReinhard. That’s enough confirmation for me to consider this a bug. I’ll send it in.

You’re right, I have Note2Err turned on, I always forget that.

I didn’t know about the invaliddata option. So thanks for mentioning that as well!
Quentin
Super User

I sent it in to tech support, and they confirmed it's a bug that b8601dj informat is not throwing the INVALID DATA note as it should. They said they will file a defect.

Thanks all.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation