BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
r3570
Obsidian | Level 7
Hi All

Will Python and R replace the SAS software and put the jobs for clinical SAS programmers or statistical programmers at risk ??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello!

Both, Python and R, have been around for quite a while now ... and have not replaced anything, yet ... but have complemented existing solutions. So my money is on that they won't replace SAS in the future.

SAS is an old trusted war horse, so you are probably on the save side to invest in learning it. And what might be more, statistical programming is a general craft that quite independent from the platform actually used. It is a way of thinking ... and approaching problems posed. 🙂

But of course there will always be new ideas and new tools  in this rapidly changing world ... we have to keep pace with it as well as SAS has to. So, let's do our very best. 🙂

--FJa

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello!

Both, Python and R, have been around for quite a while now ... and have not replaced anything, yet ... but have complemented existing solutions. So my money is on that they won't replace SAS in the future.

SAS is an old trusted war horse, so you are probably on the save side to invest in learning it. And what might be more, statistical programming is a general craft that quite independent from the platform actually used. It is a way of thinking ... and approaching problems posed. 🙂

But of course there will always be new ideas and new tools  in this rapidly changing world ... we have to keep pace with it as well as SAS has to. So, let's do our very best. 🙂

--FJa

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You are comparing apples and cucumbers.

Python is a programming language, with which you can do anything programmable, where modules for statistics are available.

R is a modern-day statistics (only!) environment.

SAS, OTOH, is a complete data warehousing framework. It provides metadata storage, access control, (long-time tested and certified) procedures for analysis, and a turing-complete language (DATA step) for ETL and data preparation. Since it's in one big package from one source, you also get exhaustive documentation (and a guarantee for function) from this one source.

Doing ETL (as an example) with R is a major PITA, so you need additional tools there. But you can integrate R into SAS through SAS/IML, which uses the same basic matrix model of data.

Addendum: there is so much SAS out there that SAS knowledge will be required, at least for legacy code.

Just like there is still a need for COBOL and PL/1 / mainframe programmers, even though both have been declared dead for decades.

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

Great explanation @Kurt_Bremser  Thank you. I am kind of interested in finding out the performance differences in tasks that can be done in both i.e. where stuff overlap. Any thoughts?

_Sas_Beginner_
Quartz | Level 8
I agree with you, and I add that java, R, Python, and C can all be used in SAS, and programs can be built with SAS, such as proc proto, which can be programmed in C, proc iml, which can make calls to R packages, proc Python, and so on. I think SAS is really strong! I love this software
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

PROC Python? Don't knw that? Is that different from FCMP? Have you got a pointer for me by chance? ... as I could not spot it in the documentation.
Cheers
fja

edit:

Have it. Here for all other blinds: https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/pgmsascdc/v_038/proc/p1iycdzbxw2787n178ysea5ghk6l.htm

🙂

AhmedAl_Attar
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Just as FYI:
PROC Python is a Viya 202x.x only technology.
While PROC FCMP Python Object is a V9.4 (M6+) & Viya 3.5 technology
fja
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
Thank you for mentioning ...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 9 likes
  • 6 in conversation