BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I'm trying to figure out the way to use 'sumif' in SAS to create the target variable (Total) in one single data step but I'm unable to accomplish it. Appreciate if someone of you help me.

I've the data (INPUT) as follows.

Now I want to create the target variable 'Total' using the similar formula as below. I've got the requirement using SUMIF function from excel and when I simplify it, I end with the calculation as shown below. I knew that we don't have SUMIF in SAS but I was wondering what will be the equal to it in SAS and also not sure how to achive the this calculation in one data step.

Final values of 'Total' should be,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
13 REPLIES 13
smantha
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
data test;

/** I want to add a and c only if b > 0 **/

a=1;

b=2;

c=3;

sum=(a+c)*(b>0);

put sum=;

a=1;

b=-1;

c=3;

sum=(a+c)*(b>0);

put sum=;

run;

ballardw
Super User

You might as well go ahead and use

sum=sum(a,c)*(b>0);

The value of sum will be 0 when b is less than or equal to zero, which includes missing. Does that match your need?

If you are dividing anything by that sum you should check that the total is not zero to avoid the "divide by zero" errors.

Since it appears your "overall formula" did not involve counts of things then I suspect having the occasional 0 isn't going to be a problem.

or use

if b> 0 then sum= sum(a,c);

You likely want to consider what to do if one of A or C is missing. In SAS A+C is missing if either of the two variables has a missing value. If in that case you want the value of what either variable may have you should use the SUM function, which I think is going to be more like the Excel result.

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

Hi,

are you looking for such functionality like this:

data have;
input x y;
cards;
1 10
5 13
3 12
4 10
2 11
;
run;

data want;
  set have end = EOF;
  partial_sum + ifn(y>10, x, 0); /* agregate for all rows if condition is satisfy  */

if EOF; /* at the end of dataset */
  sum_square = partial_sum * partial_sum; /* generate final value */
  output;
run;

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

ballardw
Super User

How about instead of providing "code" that has little bearing on how SAS works show an actual formulae given the shown data.

Since you do not tell us which column should be A or B or what ever, then the Excel formula is even more problematic. I would guess that your formula references more cells that you provided in the "example" since I see a $D, unless you actually intend to calculate something using the value of and ID variable?

I am not seeing any value to compare the cells to so am questioning the use of SUMIF at all. It looks like SUM would be the function

David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@ballardw @yabwon Actual formula to derive the target variable (Total) is, shown below. Is there a way that you can help me with the sample data as I provided in the Initial post.

=SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$G:$G)*SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$H:$H)/SQRT(SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$G:$G)^2+SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$I:$I)^2+SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$G:$G)*SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$I:$I))

A refers to the field 'ID'

G refers to the field 'HNSLT_GR'

H refers to the field 'H_GR'

I refers to the field 'HSLT_GR'

Reeza
Super User
An picture of two lines of data without cell references is not 'sample data' we can work with please post data as text.
ballardw
Super User

@David_Billa wrote:

@ballardw @yabwon Actual formula to derive the target variable (Total) is, shown below. Is there a way that you can help me with the sample data as I provided in the Initial post.

=SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$G:$G)*SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$H:$H)/SQRT(SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$G:$G)^2+SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$I:$I)^2+SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$G:$G)*SUMIF(INPUT!$A:$A;A2;INPUT!$I:$I))

A refers to the field 'ID'

G refers to the field 'HNSLT_GR'

H refers to the field 'H_GR'

I refers to the field 'HSLT_GR'

That's a start. Now, what exactly are we "summing"? I don't speak Excel that well and with only two rows of data you should be able to write out the equation such as   (123 + 456) / (456)  or what ever using the values you show.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Why don't you formulate your issue in plain language, like "when condition a is met, do calculation b, otherwise do calculation c"?

David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

If I simplify the Excel formula, then I get this.

=(sum of G)*(sum of H)/SQRT((sum of G)^2+(sum of I)^2+(sum of G)*(sum of I))

David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Yes, have to sum all values of the respective fields.
David_Billa
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

@Kurt_Bremser Now I've simplified the excel formula and updated the initial post. I would like to know how to derive the target variables in one data step.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 6 in conversation