BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

Hi Folks:

I'd like to conduct a spatial analysis in SAS. Unit of analysis is the ZIP-code. And I'm looking for a map data in SAS for the New York state at ZIP code level. I found maps named 'us_all' in mapsgfk library. However, it has county as it's smallest municipal unit. I know there is a TIGER shapefile at ZIP code level. But are those importable into SAS and used for spatial analysis. 

Anybody knows whether there is a map data of the United States in SAS directories at ZIP-code level? 

@Reeza 

Thanks for your help in advance. 

Best wishes,

Cruise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
SASHELP.ZIPCODE?

It has the X/Y coordinate so plotting as points is possible but not the 'zip' shape. I'm not as familiar with the US data so I'm not sure if its similar to Canada where a postal code doesn't necessarily have a continuous area.

The other source would be the Census Bureau SHP files for the Zip code tabulation area's but that may not be what you want either.

I'd probably see how the X/Y coordinate works and go from there. I find that using hexagons as the shape makes it show up fairly nicely.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
SASHELP.ZIPCODE?

It has the X/Y coordinate so plotting as points is possible but not the 'zip' shape. I'm not as familiar with the US data so I'm not sure if its similar to Canada where a postal code doesn't necessarily have a continuous area.

The other source would be the Census Bureau SHP files for the Zip code tabulation area's but that may not be what you want either.

I'd probably see how the X/Y coordinate works and go from there. I find that using hexagons as the shape makes it show up fairly nicely.
Cruise
Ammonite | Level 13

@Reeza i ended up using sashalp.zipcode dataset since my goal was to compute the centroid of the ZIP codes in the NY state. X and Y data in the dataset corresponded with the ZIP-code centroids. Worked out perfectly. Thanks Reeza!

Reeza
Super User
FYI - Remember that you can search the library for names. So what I did to find the answer is to search the libraries for anything with the name like ZIP.

proc sql;
create table want as
select *
from sashelp.vcolumn where name like 'ZIP';
quit;
ballardw
Super User

Go to the US census web site, Census.gov  and search for the ZIP code tabulation area map data set.

The census website reorganizes itself apparently annually and it has been several years since I looked for this so I will let you have the fun of navigating the site to find the data set.

That is the only free source I have discovered that comes close. Warning: ZIP code tabulation has a very specific meaning for the Census Bureau and does not, repeat NOT, cover all of the geography in the US. The areas, mostly in western states, that have extremely low population densities will have areas that are not inside any particular tabulation area.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation