BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
um3rella
Calcite | Level 5

I'm using SAS/ACCESS Interface to Snowflake with SSO using a ODBC DSN with AUTHENTICATOR=externalbrowser.

The connection is successful, however I cannot view any table as I get the error: The <table> does not exist or cannot be displayed.

um3rella_2-1619030464111.png

Also none of the tables have a size.

Anyone else experience this same issue?

3 REPLIES 3
pchegoor1
Fluorite | Level 6

@um3rella 

I  am actually  trying to test SAS/ACCESS Interface to SNOWFLAKE  using Native  SSO ( OKTA as IDP)  per the link given here :

https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/admin-security-fed-auth-use.html#native-sso-okta-only.

But it does not work.

I have added  the authenticator=https://<okta_account_name>.okta.com  , where  i have used my company okta account name  as per details given here : https://docs.snowflake.com/en/user-guide/odbc-parameters.html   ( search under authenticator conection paramater) . As per the documentation i have added this to the Snowflake DSN entry in the ODBC.ini  file. I am then trying to make  connection with the DSN option on the Libname statement as follows   but it throws an Error .

LIBNAME SF snow DSN=SF_Test user='test01' password="xxxxxxx" schema=INFORMATION_SCHEMA  ;

ERROR: CLI error trying to establish connection: [Snowflake][Snowflake] (6) Assertion failure: error_in_response_json
ERROR: Error in the LIBNAME statement.

However my connection to the snowflake works if use a service account defined in snowflake with default authentication (snowflake)  and then run the Libname with DSN option and the Service account and password.. But i have to use OKTA since it is my company standard for authentication

SAS support mentioned this ( OKTA)  should work.  In their response they told me 

"The SASACCESS  to Snowflake engine should  support the various authentication options currently supported by the driver via the 'Authenticator' driver option added through the CONOPTS syntax or in a DSN within the odbc.ini file. The only real restriction is that the authenticator must support programmatic authentication vs something that requires third party interaction such as 'externalbrowser'.  "

So i am surprised your connection using SSO with externalbrowser  atleast  works with no Errors.

I guess i have to reach out to SAS Tech support and do some more research.  Have you reached out to them?

um3rella
Calcite | Level 5

Instead of using snow, have you tried sasiosnf?

pchegoor1
Fluorite | Level 6

Yes  I did try that  but still did not work.

It turns out that my Networking Team have now fixed the issue .  There was a firewall blocking access to the OKTA URL from SAS server and once that was opened my issue got resolved.

@um3rella   BTW Since you are of the SNOWFLAKE & SAS Users  i found in this community, i wanted to check if you too faced this problem i reported here

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Temporary-Table-support-in-Snowflake-from-SAS/m-p/735...   in your Testing of Snowflake from SAS .Basically if i want to join a SAS dataset with a SnowFlake Table I am unable to make use of the TEMPOARARY Table concept in SNOWFLAKE ( similar to VOLATILE TABLE  in Teradata) to do the join in a more efficient manner. Looks like R&D is still looking into this.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation