BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
houcr
Calcite | Level 5

I'm working on a macro that calculates cross-sectional correlations for any number of "target" variables at a given timepoint, all correlated with the same reference variables. I had the macro working with hard coded references variables listed out in the WITH statement and then having the macro loop append Timepoint, but I would like to be able to provide just the list of ref vars in the macro call (e.g.,  ref_list = ref1 ref2 ref3 ref4) and have the macro append the timepoint on to each ref var name for me.

So a macro call for %macro corr (data=d1, item_list = item1 item2 item3 item4, tmpt = T1, ref_list = ref1 ref2 ref3 ref4); would produce the below code for the first iteration:

proc corr data=d1 spearman;
var item1_T1;
with ref1_T1 ref2_T1 ref3_T1 ref4_T1;
run;
I think i need a small loop to go over the elements of ref_list and append the tmpt value to each ref var name and then create a new macro variable, like ref_list_tmpt, to be called at the WITH statement, but haven't been able to figure out how to successfully create this ref_list_tmpt. 

Any help, better approaches to do this, or direction to resources would be greatly appreciated!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this? 

%macro corr ( data      = d1
            , item_list = item1 item2 item3 item4
            , tmpt      = T1
            , ref_list  = ref1 ref2 ref3 ref4      ); 

%local i with item;

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&ref_list));
    %let with=&with %scan(&ref_list, &i)_&tmpt.;
  %end;

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&item_list));
    %let item=%scan(&item_list, &i);
    proc corr data=&data. spearman;
      var &item._&tmpt.;
      with &with. ;
    run;
  %end;
%mend;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
Out of curiousity, what do you get out of looping it 1 by 1 rather than just passing all? Do your variables have systemic names as shown?

I would probably suggesting running it once in a massive run and then parsing through the output parts of interest only which you can capture via ODS tables instead.
Otherwise, look up some macro utilities to add a prefix to macro variable lists and one to add suffix.
Prefix macro;
http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/Spectre/utilmacros/prefix.sas
Suffix Macro:
http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/Spectre/utilmacros/suffix.sas

http://www.datasavantconsulting.com/roland/Spectre/maclist2.html#util

proc corr data=d1 spearman;
var item1_T:;
with ref:;
run;
houcr
Calcite | Level 5

Hi - thanks for the response! The variables names are not systematic in either the item_list or the ref_list. We have fixed non-SAS table formats that we need to populate so I was trying to have the produced output (which i do use ODS tables to extract values from and is processed further in currently non-relevant parts of the macro) mirror the individual final tables as much as possible, so if the code is audited it's clear where tabled values come from in output.

I will take a look at the provided links. (the suffix macro does exactly what I needed. THANK YOU!)

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this? 

%macro corr ( data      = d1
            , item_list = item1 item2 item3 item4
            , tmpt      = T1
            , ref_list  = ref1 ref2 ref3 ref4      ); 

%local i with item;

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&ref_list));
    %let with=&with %scan(&ref_list, &i)_&tmpt.;
  %end;

%do i=1 %to %sysfunc(countw(&item_list));
    %let item=%scan(&item_list, &i);
    proc corr data=&data. spearman;
      var &item._&tmpt.;
      with &with. ;
    run;
  %end;
%mend;

houcr
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks! this works great with minimal modification needed to existing code

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation