BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.

Hello,

I am attempting to remove certain strings from company names in my data. That is, I would like to remove things like 'LTD', 'CO', 'INC', 'LLC', etc. I'm also looking to get rid of leading and trailing blanks and punctuation. So, I am able to do this for one use case as you see below. But I don't want to keep writing new lines for each tranwrd as I am unable to put a list of strings in tranwrd. What I'd like to do is have some sort of loop that sends a list of strings through the tranwrd function (applying to the same field - company_name). Like define a list of strings as a macro variable and send that through a loop within a macro or something like that.

data MyCompanies;
 set CompanyListing;
 Company_Name=tranwrd(strip(compress(CompanyName,,"p")),"LTD",'');
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

data MYCOMPANIES;
 * set COMPANYLISTING;
 COMPANYNAME='Incredible Company Ltd.';
 COMPANY_NAME=prxchange('s/(\b(LTD|CO|INC|LLC)\b)//i',1,left(compress(COMPANYNAME,,'p')));
 putlog COMPANY_NAME=;
run;

COMPANY_NAME=Incredible Company

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Like this?

data MYCOMPANIES;
 * set COMPANYLISTING;
 COMPANYNAME='Incredible Company Ltd.';
 COMPANY_NAME=prxchange('s/(\b(LTD|CO|INC|LLC)\b)//i',1,left(compress(COMPANYNAME,,'p')));
 putlog COMPANY_NAME=;
run;

COMPANY_NAME=Incredible Company

Reeza
Super User

@JediApprentice wrote:

What I'd like to do is have some sort of loop that sends a list of strings through the tranwrd function (applying to the same field - company_name). Like define a list of strings as a macro variable and send that through a loop within a macro or something like that.

data MyCompanies;
 set CompanyListing;
 Company_Name=tranwrd(strip(compress(CompanyName,,"p")),"LTD",'');
run;

You would use an ARRAY, not a macro here. Use a temporary array to store the words you want to remove and then use a loop to remove them. You aren't factoring in variable CaSE though, so you may want to do that as well, eg. ltD, LTD, ltd, Ltd, Limited are all different and TRANWRD will not replace them. 

data mycomp;
set listing;

array _remove(*) _temporary_ $ ('LTD', 'INC', 'CO');

do i=1 to dim(_remove);
company_name = tranwrd(strip(compress(companyName, ,"p")), _remove(i), '');
end;

run;
JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi @Reeza , when I try this on my data, I get this error (the structure is the same as yours)

array rmve_strs(*) _temporary_ $ ('LTD','LLC','INC','CORPORATION','COMPANY','LP');
                                            _
ERROR: The non-variable based array rmve_strs has been defined with zero elements.
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: (, ;.  

ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored.

Reeza
Super User

1. It needs a dimension apparently so replace the * with the number of elements

2. Move the $ before the keyword _TEMPORARY_

@JediApprentice wrote:

Hi @Reeza , when I try this on my data, I get this error (the structure is the same as yours)

array rmve_strs(*) _temporary_ $ ('LTD','LLC','INC','CORPORATION','COMPANY','LP');
                                            _
ERROR: The non-variable based array rmve_strs has been defined with zero elements.
ERROR 22-322: Syntax error, expecting one of the following: (, ;.  

ERROR 200-322: The symbol is not recognized and will be ignored.

JediApprentice
Pyrite | Level 9

@Reeza Hmm it runs without errors or warnings but still doesn't seem to be working, not removing those strings. The only thing it removes is the punctuation. In the output it shows the value of i as 7 all the way down, like it's stuck on one iteration outside the dimensions of the array. There is an info message in the log, not sure if it's relevant: Character variables have defaulted to a length of 200 at the places given by: (Line):(Column). Truncation can result. That is for company_name.

this is the current code:

data test;
  set CompanyListing;
  array rmve_strs(6) $ _temporary_ ('LTD','LLC','INC','CORPORATION','COMPANY','LP');
  do i=1 to dim(rmve_strs);
    company_name = tranwrd(strip(compress(CompanyName, ,"p")), rmve_strs(i), '');
  end;
run;
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Just like @ChrisNZ said, but taking care of spaces and punctuation. Adjust to your needs:

data MYCOMPANIES;
 do COMPANYNAME = 'Big Corp., Local Division', 'Incredible Company Ltd.';
 COMPANYNAME=prxchange('s/\s*\b(LTD|CO|INC|LLC|CORP)\b\.?\s*//io', 1, COMPANYNAME);
 putlog COMPANYNAME=;
 end;
run;
PG
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

My understanding is that OP wants

I.B.M.

to become

IBM

and

Big Corp., Local Division

to become

Big Local Division

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation