BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
arunrami
Pyrite | Level 9

SASians,

I know the ways of importing data from outlook thru SAS EG , which will import all the messages . it is very time and memory consuming,

I would like to write a SAS script which has to run daily and check the today's mail with specific subject line, how can I do that ?

any simple syntax would be helpful , I can develop further!!

Thanks ,

SAR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
arunrami
Pyrite | Level 9
Okay! Finally I did it . Sadly , not using SAS but with the help of beautiful python library which can interact with running window application smoothly !!

*import win32com.client

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
arunrami
Pyrite | Level 9

@Kurt_Bremser  Can you please help with this..!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I won't touch Outlook; not even with waldos behind a meter-thick, radioactivity-safe glass.

I like to keep my mental sanity.

Ask me questions about importing any text file, and I'm happy to help, but the MS crap has given me enough pain for ten lifetimes.

arunrami
Pyrite | Level 9
ROFL!!
arunrami
Pyrite | Level 9
Okay! Finally I did it . Sadly , not using SAS but with the help of beautiful python library which can interact with running window application smoothly !!

*import win32com.client
Quentin
Super User

Instead of trying to connect to Outlook (or an exchange server?) from SAS to read mail, would it be feasible to write some Outlook automation script (VBA?) to run nightly and export your mail to a SAS-friendly format (simple text or XML or ... )

That  said, it looks like apparently you can configure an ODBC connection to an exchange server, e.g.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Programming/Can-SAS-Read-email-inbox/td-p/195431

http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings10/086-2010.pdf

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Don Henderson presenting on using hash functions (not hash tables!) to segment data on June 12. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
arunrami
Pyrite | Level 9
by connecting exchanage lib , it is a tedious job and it will import all the outlook data at first then only we can do the filtering, ..

Will try excel macro idea ..

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 3 in conversation