BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
derekg
Obsidian | Level 7

If I run the code below, the second string displays in the resulting file with the "Q" below the A thru P, though there appears to be sufficient space for the Q to appear directly to the right of the P. I can solve this by adding options(flow="tables") to the ods excel statement, which stops the Q from wrapping onto the next line. The issue is that, when I do this, the height of the cell containing the second string is still greater than the height of the cell containing the first string. Is there a way for the height of the taller row to be reduced so that it matches the height of the shorter row (other than manually changing it within Excel)? I tried cellheight but that didn't seem to work.

Thanks!

ods excel file = "[filepath].xlsx";

data d;
	length x $ 100;
	x = "A B C D E"; output;
	x = "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q"; output;
run;

proc report data = d;
	column x;
	define x / style(column) = [cellwidth = 2 in] display;
run;

ods excel close;

sasxls1.PNG

sasxls2.PNG

9 REPLIES 9
Ksharp
Super User
ods excel file = "c:\temp\temp.xlsx";

data d;
	length x $ 100;
	x = "A B C D E"; output;
run;

proc report data = d nowd;
	column x;
	define x / style(column) = [tagattr='wrap:no'] display;
run;

ods excel close;
derekg
Obsidian | Level 7
I had tried playing around with tagattr='wrap:no' as well... Unfortunately, I don't think this solution quite accomplishes what I'm looking for. It does fix the cell height issue, but it does so by increasing the cell width (beyond the width of 2 inches I had used in my example). I probably should have been clearer about this, but I'm looking for a solution that would not require increasing the cell width (or changing the size of the text).
ghosh
Barite | Level 11

Just add OPTIONS(FLOW='Tables') to the ods excel file line

ods excel file = '~/test/wrap.xlsx'  OPTIONS(FLOW='Tables');

data d;
	length x $ 100;
	x = "A B C D E"; output;
run;

proc report data = d;
	column x;
	define x /  display;
run;

ods excel close;

ghosh_0-1669222140013.png

derekg
Obsidian | Level 7
Again, similarly to Ksharp's answer, in this block of code, the "cellwidth = 2 in" that I used in my original example has been removed. So, at least when I run this code, this results in a cell width that is slightly more than 2 inches. I am trying to find a solution that would allow the cell width to remain fixed at 2 inches, while keeping the height of rows 2 and 3 equally short.
ghosh
Barite | Level 11

To fit within 2 in you may need to use a smaller font, otherwise it would wrap with the default font

ods excel file = '~/test/wrap.xlsx'  
   OPTIONS(FLOW='Tables' absolute_column_width='2.1in');   

ghosh_0-1669235583931.png

derekg
Obsidian | Level 7

It seems that absolute_column_width may work differently from cellwidth. If I set a width of 2 inches using absolute_column_width, I get a shorter width than if I set a width of 2 inches using cellwidth. Interestingly, though, if I set a width of 2.2 inches using absolute_column_width, then this comes close to providing a solution to my problem, as the resulting file has the two rows printed without wrapping, with equal row heights, and without a greater width than the width used from my original example (i.e., 2.2 inches using absolute_column_width actually provides a shorter width than 2 inches using cellwidth).

However, my understanding is that absolute_column_width would set the length of all columns in the table, right? Ultimately, the application for this would involve a table with multiple columns, where I will want it to be possible for different columns to have different widths.

For example, if I have something like this, where I want columns x and y to have different widths, I'm back to having the same problem where row 3 has unnecessary extra vertical height.

ods excel file = "[filepath].xlsx"  OPTIONS(FLOW='Tables');

data d;
	length x y $ 100;
	x = "A B C D E"; y = "A B C D E"; output;
	x = "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q"; y = "A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q"; output;
run;

proc report data = d;
	column x y;
	define x / style(column) = [cellwidth = 3 in] display;
	define y / style(column) = [cellwidth = 2 in] display;
run;

ods excel close;

sasxls9.PNG

derekg
Obsidian | Level 7
Oh, wait a minute... I see that you can set multiple widths using absolute_column_width. Maybe that will work...
ghosh
Barite | Level 11
Exactly, you can list the cell widths in a comma delimited string

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation