BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I'm seeing we can get significant benefit from converting some of our master files over to SPDE format.  Savings in both space and run times look promising. 

One of the minor inconveniences is lack of support for views.  Was wondering if pointing a different non-SPDE libname to the same folder that SPDE uses would result in any issues, if only to define views..  I would think not, but I've been surprised before.

Version 9.4 TS1M5, Windows 2012 R2 server.

Thanks!

--Ben

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Your question is, probably unintentional, inconsistent. View is queries at rest, and usually doesn't care about where it's stored, or where the data it's referencing is stored. This is especially true for Base and SPDE library data.
To answer your question: yes it's possible. But I can't see any benefits for doing so. Just risking confusion for the maintenance team.
Data never sleeps
BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi Linus,

Thanks for replying.  Yeah, probably could have done a better job phrasing  it.  🙂

I guess I'm asking if something like this would cause heartburn with SAS at any point:

libname out 'c:\sasdata\project1';

libname out2 SPDE  'c:\sasdata\project1';

I would stuff views into the out libname and the data itself in the out2 libname.

I'm not expecting any conflicts but wanted to make sure this wouldn't cause SAS issues.

--Ben

BenConner
Pyrite | Level 9
I did run this by SAS Tech Support. While they didn't say 'no, you can't do that', their response is 'we never do that'. LOL...

That suggests to me it works now, but we won't guarantee it will work in the future. Close enough to 'no' for rme.

--Ben

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation