BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Zen_aly
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

Currently this selection is done manually so I have no code to share. I believe I can automate the process in SAS and I thought it would be good to ask here in case anyone can give me some pointers. I have looked for like questions but didn't find anything.

The end goal is to identify a sample that represents group characteristics with as few of the observations as possible. Based on group totals formulas and rounding are used to generate a list of “need” characteristic totals. After an observation is selected to be a part of the sample they need to be deducted from the needed count (Need_initial), until a sample is selected that represents the total desired count for each characteristic.

I have added a pretend dataset that represents a group. In the table below I put the initial total counts (Need initial), an example of an observation selected for the sample, and then how that first selection impacted the needed totals (Need_2). Sometimes subcategory counts may not be in line with the category total. For example, in this case the sample only needs 1 observation with patterns but the sample should include 1 pattern_dots and 1 pattern_plaid regardless of whether that combination can be identified within one observation.

Need_Initial

Selection_1

Need_2

Dinner

Likes_talking

Visiting

Hates_talking

Green

Dark_Yellow

Dark_Green

Dark_White

Blue

Yellow

White

Red

Black

Grey

Light_Blue

Light_orange

Light_red

Dark_Black

Patterns

Pattern_Dots

Pattern_Plaid

2 REPLIES 2
Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

This looks like a constrained optimization problem. The "need" characteristics are constraints. The number of observations in the data set is a quantity that you are trying to minimize, subject to the constraints.

Do you have a license for SAS/OR software? Or SAS/IML?

Zen_aly
Calcite | Level 5

It looks like I do have SAS/IML!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation