BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
chapidi99
Fluorite | Level 6

As an experienced SAS user I am now thinking to move away from SAS and start learning python/R programs. Because of the growing number of opportunities for python/R in the market, atleast I feel like. Couple of years back, I use to see more job advertisements related to SAS when compared to python/R. But now I see more number for python/r when compared to SAS. Can't really understand the reason. For example, in my previous company, where I use to work as a SAS developer they stoped using SAS and implemented someother software for the DWH purpose. I don't understand, Is SAS losing its ground to open source for other industries. Is the cost playing big factor?

What is going on with SAS? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

On top of software costs are the costs for developers. It's very easy to find a python/R developer at low rates compared to a SAS developer who will be more expensive. Since Python and R are free and easy to access it's easy for anyone to learn them and the labour pool is much bigger and when people start they're likely to stick with what they know. 

Also, R and Python are changing much faster than SAS but that's not necessarily a good thing as things don't always work well together because of the lack of standards in package development. 

SAS also takes administrators as does R/Python but many industries don't bother with the administrator pushing the work down to the analyst instead until it gets too big or problematic and then they end up with Anaconda Studio or R Studio Server Pro with a similar cost as SAS. 

I would suggest learning a second language, I'm about intermediate with R and basic with Python. 

@chapidi99 wrote:

As an experienced SAS user I am now thinking to move away from SAS and start learning python/R programs. Because of the growing number of opportunities for python/R in the market, atleast I feel like. Couple of years back, I use to see more job advertisements related to SAS when compared to python/R. But now I see more number for python/r when compared to SAS. Can't really understand the reason. For example, in my previous company, where I use to work as a SAS developer they stoped using SAS and implemented someother software for the DWH purpose. I don't understand, Is SAS losing its ground to open source for other industries. Is the cost playing big factor?

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Reeza
Super User

On top of software costs are the costs for developers. It's very easy to find a python/R developer at low rates compared to a SAS developer who will be more expensive. Since Python and R are free and easy to access it's easy for anyone to learn them and the labour pool is much bigger and when people start they're likely to stick with what they know. 

Also, R and Python are changing much faster than SAS but that's not necessarily a good thing as things don't always work well together because of the lack of standards in package development. 

SAS also takes administrators as does R/Python but many industries don't bother with the administrator pushing the work down to the analyst instead until it gets too big or problematic and then they end up with Anaconda Studio or R Studio Server Pro with a similar cost as SAS. 

I would suggest learning a second language, I'm about intermediate with R and basic with Python. 

@chapidi99 wrote:

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation