BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Florida1
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everyone,,

I have a dataset of IE in that a variable TEST having greater than 200 Characters in some of its observation. I want those observation split into different variables having Length of 200 char.

7 REPLIES 7
Satish_Parida
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Change the value of devidingColumnLength variable on line 2 to 200, while running the code on your data.

options mprint;
%let devidingColumnLength=10;  /*Change it to 200, 10 is taken for demonstration here*/

data IE;
input test:$2000.;
cards;
qwertyuopasdfghjkl02jiimddjj10jn
299302nhfmmmskskkkkkkkqieijncnc20099839kkjjj
sjjdjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjalllllllll1
kk
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk333333333333333330000000000000000000099
iii
;
run;

proc sql noprint;
select max(length(test)) into:maxLen from IE;
quit;

%put &=maxLen;

%macro runit;
data IE;
set IE;
%do i=1 %to %eval(&maxLen./&devidingColumnLength. + 1);
	%if &i=1 %then %do;
	init=1;
	%end;

if length(test) ge init then do;
		TEST&i.=substr(test,init,&devidingColumnLength.);
		init=init+&devidingColumnLength.;
	end;
	else return;
%end;
drop init;
run;

%mend runit;
%runit;

Please let us know if it worked for you.

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

Hi,

do you mean something like this:

%let split=20;

data have;
  var = "abcdefghihbuiuhfnjbvjzknoiewhfkbvzncldlwhflva"; output;
  var = "abcdefghihbuiuhfnjbvjz"; output;
  var = "abc"; output;
run;

data _null_;
if 0 then set have;
call symputx("varLen", vlength(var));
stop;
run;

%let numOfSplits=%sysevalf(&varLen./&split., CEIL);

%put &=split. &=varLen. &=numOfSplits.;

data want;
  set have;

array v[&numOfSplits.] $ &split. ;

j=0; drop i j;
  do i = 1 to min(&varLen.,lengthn(var)) by &split.;
   j+1;
   v[j] = substr(var, i);
  end;
run;

All the best

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@yabwon: Bart, methinks it's more economical output-wise to base the splitting on the max LENGTH of the input VAR than on VLENGTH to avoid a bunch of empty trailing output VV's in case the system length >> actual max length. I.e., something like:

data have ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  length var $ 100 ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
  do var = "abcdefghihbuiuhfnjbvjzknoiewhfkbvzncldlwhflva"                                                                                                                                                                                                      
         , "abcdefghihbuiuhfnjbvjz"                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
         , "abc" ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
    output ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
run ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

%let split = 20 ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

proc sql noprint ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
  select max (ceil (divide (length (var), &split))) into :ns from have ;                                                                                                                                                                                        
quit ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

data want ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  set have ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    
  array vv [&ns] $ &split ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     
  do _n_ = 1 to &ns ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
    vv[_n_] = substrn (var, (_n_ - 1) * &split + 1) ;                                                                                                                                                                                                           
  end ;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
run ;          

Kind regards

Paul D.

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

@hashman,

Pavle, that's why I've made it:

do i = 1 to min(&varLen.,lengthn(var)) by &split.;

so we have only 1 data read 🙂

All the best

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.

SAS Documentation

yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

@hashman ,

Pavle, I didn't get your point after first reading. Now I understood. You are 100% right, to wide array may be created without that additional pre-check.  

All the best

Bart

SAS Documentation

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@yabwon:

Barteku, yup, that was my understanding. Fewer passes through the input is a noble goal. And I did realize that I was making an extra pass, just my angle was a bit different here, so I decided it was worth the sacrifice ;).

Kind regards

Paul D. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation