BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
margnotis
Calcite | Level 5

Hi I'm back again with some more date questions since I can't seem to ever do anything right with them.

So I have a field that is a mixture of dates and other information that im importing from excel. I'm sorting it by a case statement then doing a data step to reformat it and I'm just getting back nulls when I try and turn this characters into dates.

Code:

proc sql;
create table test as
select *
, case when length(field1) <= 5 then field1 end as new_date_field
from work.name;
run;

data test2;
set test1;
format var1 date9.;
var1= input(new_date_field,yymmdd12.);
run;

3 REPLIES 3
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

I moved your question to its own thread. Please do not hijack other's threads for your questions.

Your CASE will populate new_date_field only when theres less than 6 characters in field1, but then you try to use an informat with a width of 12. That won't work.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you have COLUMN in an Excel spreadsheet that is "a mixture of dates and other information" and that means both numbers and character strings then SAS will have to create a character VARIABLE to store the information it reads from that column.

When it does that it converts the NUMBERS that Excel uses to store dates as a digit string.

So to convert those digit strings into a SAS date value you will need to first convert them into a number and then modify the number to account for the difference in how Excel and SAS number dates.

data test;
  set name;
  if lengthn(field1) in (1:5) then new_date_field=input(field1,??5.)+'30DEC1899'd;
  format new_date_field yymmdd10.;
run;

Quentin
Super User

30Dec1899 ?  

Gotta love the persistence of old bugs.  And Microsoft doesn't even call it a leap year bug, they just say they designed Excel to be compatible with Lotus 1-2-3...

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/troubleshoot/excel/wrongly-assumes-1900-is-leap-year

The Boston Area SAS Users Group (BASUG) is hosting our in person SAS Blowout on Oct 18!
This full-day event in Cambridge, Mass features four presenters from SAS, presenting on a range of SAS 9 programming topics. Pre-registration by Oct 15 is required.
Full details and registration info at https://www.basug.org/events.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation