BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
RandoDando
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a CSV file that I am importing, and would prefer to have the import statement saved so that it can run regularly to import updates to the CSV file.  The file has a date variable stored as text in the format dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm (using 24 hr time).  I would prefer to see the imported date as DDMMYYYY HH:MM AM/PM.

I am importing on a data step using the infile statement.  Here is the gist of what I am running.

I get a blank column for date with the error: "Invalid argument to function INPUT".

Data Want;
infile "C:\My File.csv";
length code $12 date $19
input code $ date $ ;
date1 = input(date, Datetime19.);
drop date;
rename date1 = date;
run;
:  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Informat DATETIME19. doesn't work because the value is not in the appropriate format. From the documentation:

The datetime values must be in the following form: ddmmmyy or ddmmmyyyy, followed by a blank or special character, followed by hh:mm:ss.ss (the time).

You don't have that. I leave it as a homework assignment for you to understand what parts of your text string dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm do not match.

This does work:

data have;
    datetimestring='19/02/2023 13:22';
run;
data want;
    set have;
    date1=input(datetimestring,anydtdtm.);
    format date1 datetime19.;
run;

Note: some people do not like the ANYDTDTM. informat because it is a guessing format, and it could guess wrong. If that's a concern, then this will work.

data want;
    set have;
    date1=input(scan(datetimestring,1,' '),ddmmyy10.);
    time1=input(scan(datetimestring,2,' '),time5.);
    date=dhms(date1,hour(time1),minute(time1),0);
    format date datetime19.;
run;
--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Informat DATETIME19. doesn't work because the value is not in the appropriate format. From the documentation:

The datetime values must be in the following form: ddmmmyy or ddmmmyyyy, followed by a blank or special character, followed by hh:mm:ss.ss (the time).

You don't have that. I leave it as a homework assignment for you to understand what parts of your text string dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm do not match.

This does work:

data have;
    datetimestring='19/02/2023 13:22';
run;
data want;
    set have;
    date1=input(datetimestring,anydtdtm.);
    format date1 datetime19.;
run;

Note: some people do not like the ANYDTDTM. informat because it is a guessing format, and it could guess wrong. If that's a concern, then this will work.

data want;
    set have;
    date1=input(scan(datetimestring,1,' '),ddmmyy10.);
    time1=input(scan(datetimestring,2,' '),time5.);
    date=dhms(date1,hour(time1),minute(time1),0);
    format date datetime19.;
run;
--
Paige Miller
RandoDando
Pyrite | Level 9
The first appears to have worked. I will compare to the original data to make sure.
yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

Maybe like this:

Data Want;
infile cards dlm="|";
input code : $ 12. date ANYDTTME.;
format date DATEAMPM23.;
cards;
abc|01/02/2003 04:05
;
run;
proc print data=Want;
run;

Bart

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation