BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TonyVanHorn
Calcite | Level 5

How does one leverage the goodness of the TERMSTR=CRLF option in the context of reading in a .csv file that resides on an SFTP server?

when I run the following code:

data DATA_IN;
infile sftpdir(myfile.csv)
termstr=crlf
truncover;
input row $32767.;
run;

it results in the following error:

27 termstr=crlf
_______
ERROR 23-2: Invalid option name TERMSTR.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why do you want to combine two rows into one?

Is the problem that someone has made a file that cannot be parsed by including <CR><LF> in the middle of value of one of the fields?

They didn't even include any quotes around the value like Excel would have done.

Assuming you don't have any | characters in the data just count the number of |'s you have read.  You might want to replace those special characters with something else that will be easier to deal with.

data test;
 infile 'c:\downloads\test.csv' firstobs=2 ;
 length line $32767 ;
 do until(n_pipe>=3);
   input;
   line=catx('<cr>',line,_infile_);
   n_pipe=sum(n_pipe,countc(_infile_,'|'));
 end;
run;
Obs            line            n_pipe

1     a|b|c:<cr>d thru g|h       3

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Does code that work when the libref SFTPDIR is just pointing to a regular directory on your SAS server?

What version of SAS are your running?

TonyVanHorn
Calcite | Level 5

Yes - I can point to a non-SFTP directory and process the file in the desired manner.  I am on SAS 9.4.

Panagiotis
SAS Employee

Does the DATA step to read in the CSV file work without the TERMSTR option? I want to make sure that the file is at least being read in correctly since I don't have much experience with using the SFTP Access Method. The file should at least be read in, even thought it'll be a mess. If it doesn't work i'd take a look at the documentation to use the SFTP Access Method: https://go.documentation.sas.com/?cdcId=pgmsascdc&cdcVersion=9.4_3.4&docsetId=lestmtsglobal&docsetTa...

Looking at the documentation here for TERMSTR option it mentions the different types. Not sure if that's an issue: http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hostwin/69955/HTML/default/viewer.htm#chifoptfmain.htm

Also, i'd try and download the file and open it in a text editor like Notepad ++. That's a nice way to see what the returns look like. I made a test file called test.csv and attached the CSV file. Here is the CSV file in notepad++. It allows me to see the returns:

Notepad image.jpg

I used the TERMSTR option and it read it in correctly. See sample code below:

********************************;
* READING EACH COLUMN WITH DSD *;
********************************;
/*Without termstr=crlf*/
data test1;	
	infile "S:\test.csv" dsd firstobs=2 missover;
	input Var1:8. Var2:$8.;
run;

/*With termstr=crlf*/
data test2;	
	infile "S:\test.csv" dsd firstobs=2 termstr=crlf missover;
	input Var1:8. Var2:$8.;
run;

**************************************;
* READING EVERYTHING INTO ONE COLUMN *;
**************************************;
/*Without termstr=crlf*/
data test3;	
	infile "S:\test.csv" firstobs=2 truncover;
	input row $300.;
run;

/*With termstr=crlf*/
data test4;	
	infile "S:\test.csv" firstobs=2 termstr=crlf truncover;
	input row $300.;
	var1=scan(row,1);
	var2=scan(row,2);
run;

Here are some other posts that might help:

- Peter

Panagiotis
SAS Employee

Also if you could post a few lines of fake sample data in the format you have, that would allow us to test some code.

- Peter

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@TonyVanHorn wrote:

Yes - I can point to a non-SFTP directory and process the file in the desired manner.  I am on SAS 9.4.

In that case you will probably need to download the file first and then read it.

filename sftpdir ... ;
filename copy temp;

data _null_;
  infile sftpdir(myfile.csv) ;
  file copy ;
  input;
  put _infile_;
run;

data DATA_IN;
  infile COPY termstr=crlf truncover;
  input row $32767.;
run;
TonyVanHorn
Calcite | Level 5

@Tom & @Panagiotis - It *seems* like I do need to 1st copy over the file from SFTP to a local drive in order to be able to use the TERMSTR=CRLF option... However, contrary to my earlier statement of "Yes - I can point to a non-SFTP directory and process the file in the desired manner..." I find that results actually aren't processing in the manner I'd like yet.

csv contents.PNG

The picture above, I think, conveys the challenge.  I'd like to read the pipe delimited rows from this csv file into one column so that resulting value would look as follows:

a|b|c: d thru g|h

Instead, I am still getting:

bad output.PNG

using the following approach:

data test;
infile "C:\csv containing variable with carriage returns.csv" 
firstobs=2
termstr=crlf 
truncover;
input row $32767.;
run;

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Why do you want to combine two rows into one?

Is the problem that someone has made a file that cannot be parsed by including <CR><LF> in the middle of value of one of the fields?

They didn't even include any quotes around the value like Excel would have done.

Assuming you don't have any | characters in the data just count the number of |'s you have read.  You might want to replace those special characters with something else that will be easier to deal with.

data test;
 infile 'c:\downloads\test.csv' firstobs=2 ;
 length line $32767 ;
 do until(n_pipe>=3);
   input;
   line=catx('<cr>',line,_infile_);
   n_pipe=sum(n_pipe,countc(_infile_,'|'));
 end;
run;
Obs            line            n_pipe

1     a|b|c:<cr>d thru g|h       3
TonyVanHorn
Calcite | Level 5
To your question "why do you want to combine two rows into one?" because it is a pipe-delimited file and yes - there is a comment field whose values can contain carriage returns... It's how the data is being offered for me to pick up. 🙂 Also, I can reference the sftpdir() instead of having to copy over the file! Thank you for helping me solve this!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Available on demand!

Missed SAS Innovate Las Vegas? Watch all the action for free! View the keynotes, general sessions and 22 breakouts on demand.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation