BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Dlee0416
Fluorite | Level 6

I've been away from SAS for a few years so I'm kind of rusty.  Here's what I hope is a simple questions.  I'm currently running a fairly extensive batch file that uses SAS quite extensively.  I keep getting a message saying that the system is running the SAS program and have attached an edited version of that message.  My real question is: Can I still run other SAS programs while the batch file is executing?  It appears as if the answer is no but I thought I'd ask.

I'm running Windows 7 PRO with SAS 9.4. 

Thanks!

SAS Message.png

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Yes you can.

If you mean by extensive, that it consumes lots of resources, you might find that your system to getting slower.

Also be aware of any data set locking that could interfere your other process.

Data never sleeps
Dlee0416
Fluorite | Level 6

I tried opening a second instance of SAS and get the following somewhat cryptic message:

"The SAS Windowing environment is not available.  This version of SAS can be used with SAS(r) Studio or in a batch environment.  Use SAS(r) Studio or other client tool to access SAS.  See http://support.sas.com/kb/52/757.html for more information."

The web link refers to A SAS NOTES web  page titled: Usage Note 52757: The message "This installation configured only for server mode. No interactive session possible." occurs when you invoke SAS® University Edition.  We are definitely not using the University Edition.

I recognize the possible resource constraints and potential slowdowns but this seems odd. 

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Any chance that you tried to use SAS with the -NODMS option? That's not supported in Windows, and might generate a similar message.

Launching a second instance of SAS might generate a message about your SASUSER profile being locked, but it should still work.

Learn from the Experts! Check out the huge catalog of free sessions in the Ask the Expert webinar series.

SAS Innovate 2025: Call for Content

Are you ready for the spotlight? We're accepting content ideas for SAS Innovate 2025 to be held May 6-9 in Orlando, FL. The call is open until September 25. Read more here about why you should contribute and what is in it for you!

Submit your idea!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation