BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Quentin
Super User

Thanks @Tom.  I guess I can accept it as an accident of history / laziness. And since it's documented, it's not a bug it's a feature. But I don't have to like it. : )

BASUG is hosting free webinars ! Check out our recordings of past webinars: https://www.basug.org/videos. Be sure to subscribe to our email list for notification of future BASUG events.
yabwon
Onyx | Level 15

Hi Tom,

I think you've got it. Following log seems to confirm your theory (both y and t are uninitialised but SAS says nothing):

51   data _null_;
52   x = -1;
53   y = t;
54   z = 17;
55   call sortn(t, x, y, z);
56   put t= x= y= z=;
57   run;

t=. x=. y=-1 z=17
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.00 seconds
      user cpu time       0.00 seconds
      system cpu time     0.00 seconds
      memory              300.84k

I searched SAS help documentation and unfortunately only following was confirmed: 

A CALL routine alters variable values or performs other system functions.

all the best

Bart J.

"SAS Packages: the way to share" at SGF2020 Proceedings (the latest version), GitHub Repository, and YouTube Video.
Hands-on-Workshop: "Share your code with SAS Packages"
"My First SAS Package: A How-To" at SGF2021 Proceedings

SAS Ballot Ideas: one: SPF in SAS, two, and three
SAS Documentation

hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

A short answer is that you don't get an "uninitialized" note because this variable is set to the standard numeric missing value - i.e., initialized - unconditionally at compile time. 

A longer answer is that you get an "uninitialized" note for a variable if both of the following are true:

1. The variable is not initialized by the compiler unconditionally at compile time.

2. The compiler sees no program statement that will initialize the variable at run time, either.

A still longer answer is that the "uninitialized" note is somewhat misleading. To wit, it does not mean that the variable remains uninitialized - there are no uninitialized variables in the PDV when the compiled step starts running. Instead, it is meant, on part of the compiler, to say:

1. This is not one of the variables I initialize at compile time unconditionally (in particular, regardless of #2 below).

2. I see nothing in the program that will assign it a value (missing or not-missing) at run time.

3. I'm setting it to a standard numeric missing value, unless it's defined otherwise (e.g. via LENGTH, ATTR, FORMAT, etc.).

4. Have at it, but here's a log note that because of this action on my part, you may get results you may not expect.   

As to whether or not the compiler, instead of doing #3, should fail to compile, I don't think so. Whether, instead of generating a note in #4, it should produce a warning, I'm inclined to agree, as a warning is more eminent. At any rate, the latter doesn't mean much to me personally since I never leave a program alone till all "uninitialized" notes have been weeded out.  

Paul D.  

John6
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you all for all the replies. I'm glad to see at least one person agrees with me that this should be issuing a note to the log (if not a warning!)

I see that I need to do some reading up of CALL routines, as this appears to be the reason for the lack of a note. I confess I've never really understood what they are (compared to regular functions) but I daresay a quick Google will sort that out.

I haven't accepted an answer as the answer yet as I don't think I understand the situation well enough to make that call! (Although naturally I'm inclined to the post that agreed SAS should issue a note 😉

Quentin
Super User

Since you're new here @John6 (welcome!) just wanted to point out that there is a community for SAS ballot ideas, i.e. proposals for changes to SAS behavior / new functionality.

https://communities.sas.com/t5/SASware-Ballot-Ideas/idb-p/sas_ideas

Since this is documented behavior that CALL routines don't generate the uninitialized note, it's not really a bug.  And SAS isn't likely to change the default behavior to make it a note (or warning).  But SAS has been adding system options over time, that make it possible to turn on more and more notes/warnings/errors to the log.

I could imagine proposing an option like CALLVARINITCHK=NONOTE|NOTE|WARN|ERROR, which would control whether CALL routines throw a log message when a CALL routine initializes a variable (i.e. creates a variable was not defined elsewhere in the DATA step).  Might not have much likelihood of getting implemented, but I'd vote for it. : )

BASUG is hosting free webinars ! Check out our recordings of past webinars: https://www.basug.org/videos. Be sure to subscribe to our email list for notification of future BASUG events.
John6
Fluorite | Level 6

Thanks all for the replies, and I'm pleased to see my post sparked a good discussion. Although I've used SAS for 16 years, I realise that I am still scraping the surface in many aspects.

I agree with your conclusion Quentin. About why CALL routines don't generate uninitialized notes. I've also started reading your paper that you linked to and found myself agreeing with it. I already follow some of what you advise. (I don't know if you go on to suggest it as I haven't finished it but I use a piece of code to check my log - especially for these pesky notes that should - arguably - be warnings. Such as missing values were generated, Division by zero detected, or repeats of BY values, to name a few!)

For that reason I've nominated your last reply as the answer although I think anyone who stumbles across this thread should read the whole thing.

And I'm going to add a suggestion to that other community as you suggest. Cheers!

Ready to join fellow brilliant minds for the SAS Hackathon?

Build your skills. Make connections. Enjoy creative freedom. Maybe change the world. Registration is now open through August 30th. Visit the SAS Hackathon homepage.

Register today!
How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 9 in conversation